Golf Club Resignation

Brackenghyll6

Visit site
Hi All,

I've recently resigned from my golf club and decided to inform them that I was moving clubs at the end of June.

A week later, I've received a letter from my golf club saying that they were sorry I'm leaving and there's a settlement of my account for £200.

When I challenge what the £200 was for, the golf club came back to me and said my membership expired in May and the charge relates to all the rounds booked on BRS from the end of May to the end of June.

Looking into it further my membership did actually expire in May. However, the club sent out emails informing all members that if they did not renew their membership the ability to book a tee time would be revoked (In my case this did not happen and backed up my understanding that the membership expired in June not May). The only communication received from the club was a text message back end of June - Even though they are saying I've received emails and read them...

My golf club is now threatening to add the debt to the WHS - which apparently puts a red cross against my name should I wish to join other clubs in the future.

Any advice on how I should proceed would be appreciated!

Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have they got your email adress wrong.
As your playing privileges should have been stopped if you did not renew .
Seems a bit OTT to threaten you like this, given it could be just a mix up.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi All,

I've recently resigned from my golf club and decided to inform them that I was moving clubs at the end of June.

A week later, I've received a letter from my golf club saying that they were sorry I'm leaving and there's a settlement of my account for £200.

When I challenge what the £200 was for, the golf club came back to me and said my membership expired in May and the charge relates to all the rounds booked on BRS from the end of May to the end of June.

Looking into it further my membership did actually expire in May. However, the club sent out emails informing all members that if they did not renew their membership the ability to book a tee time would be revoked (In my case this did not happen and backed up my understanding that the membership expired in June not May). The only communication received from the club was a text message back end of June - Even though they are saying I've received emails and read them...

My golf club is now threatening to add the debt to the WHS - which apparently puts a red cross against my name should I wish to join other clubs in the future.

Thanks.
Pay it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whoever made the mistake you're essentially arguing that you should be allowed to have played for free for the last month?? How many times did you play in June? If you only played say 4 times, maybe you could come to a compromise and pay the price of a green x 4 or something. I don't think you're going to come out of this not paying anything.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whoever made the mistake you're essentially arguing that you should be allowed to have played for free for the last month?? How many times did you play in June? If you only played say 4 times, maybe you could come to a compromise and pay the price of a green x 4 or something. I don't think you're going to come out of this not paying anything.
Yes I agree.
But to threaten him like that is poor with no explanation as to how it happened.
Some have extensions for loss of playing during period courses were closed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I agree.
But to threaten him like that is poor with no explanation as to how it happened.
Some have extensions for loss of playing during period courses were closed.
Well we only have his version of events, I'm sure they wouldn't threaten him unless it looked like he was not going to pay.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I first read your post I thought they were giving you £200 and thought how generous!

For me you need to know exactly when your membership expired. If it was May and the annual subs were say £816 the monthly charge would be round £68 and this to me would be a reasonable mount to pay.

Whilst not totally relevant how long have you been a member along with what you have put into the club via time, function attendance, bar bills.

Make contact and see their reaction and explain your situation, also why were you not blocked from booking if you were not a member. There may have some contributory negligence on their part. Why was your membership not revoked as they advised?

Overall I would hope a months‘s fees would be a reasonable outcome.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did you know you weren't going to renew?
Did you leave due to animosity?

I think I'm inclined to agree with @Orikoru it seems fair if you've been playing at the course during the cut off period to pay for the times you've attended. You could find that you've paid more than £200 worth of fees so that would seem fair. Perhaps a reasonable conversation can work this out.

Visit site
How much was the monthly cost? Surely you could just agree to pay them that amount, given that you enjoyed playing rights as any other member did? Seems more reasonable than being asked to pay full green fees?

I’d have racked up over £1000 in green fees in the last month ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The letter said something along the lines of 'Failure to pay will result in the debt posted against your WHS'...
It sounds like a standard letter they may have on file for fee recoveries to me. ??‍♂️ A little impersonal but not the end of the world, you just need to speak with them and sort it.

You didn't answer about how many times you'd played in June?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How much was the monthly cost? Surely you could just agree to pay them that amount, given that you enjoyed playing rights as any other member did? Seems more reasonable than being asked to pay full green fees?

I’d have racked up over £1000 in green fees in the last month ?
This is why I asked how many times he played that month. If it was 3 then he could try and negotiate it down. If it was 30 then I'd pay the 200 and get out of there. (Assuming 200 is roughly the normal monthly membership I guess.)

Brackenghyll6

Visit site
It sounds like a standard letter they may have on file for fee recoveries to me. ??‍♂️ A little impersonal but not the end of the world, you just need to speak with them and sort it.

You didn't answer about how many times you'd played in June?
I'd booked onto play 11 times - I know I didn't play them all due to weather and other last-minute commitments.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you have a responsibility to know when your annual membership expires - especially so if you're about to leave. It looks like they're charging you full green fees for each game you've booked after the expiry date. As others have said, I'm sure a comprimise could be reached as I do think you have a liability to pay a reasonable amount

Brackenghyll6

Visit site
This is why I asked how many times he played that month. If it was 3 then he could try and negotiate it down. If it was 30 then I'd pay the 200 and get out of there. (Assuming 200 is roughly the normal monthly membership I guess.)
My monthly membership is c£30

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This sort of problem is exactly why we stopped giving players a 'grace period' for renewing. Our renewals go out one month before they are due and if not paid by the due date membership is lapsed.
Hi All,

Thanks.

I am very surprised that the club does not send out renewal notices which would clearly state the date of renewal.