Golf club length

aaronjunited

Hacker
Visit site
Ok ive been thinking about my driving lately. 2 years ago i used to hit my driver straight and long every shot. I changed my driver back then to the one i have now. My uncle gave me it for free, it was lying around not being used. Now my old driver is somewhere about, i cant find it.

Thing is, it was shorter in length and i could hit it nicely. Now this one i have is longer im sure, and since i got it 2 years ago I cant hit off the tee straight anymore, im always slicing the ball. Now i was reading about the length of a club, which can affect your swing and possibly make you slive the ball.

I know every player has a length that matches there height and requirements.
Do i need to fix the length problem and hopefully my drives will be straight and long again. I will also be doing drills to help the slice, any suggestions for drills on slicing the ball would be nice also.

Also what about making all the clubs in my bag the same length, i read this somewhere too. I feel my 6 iron is the most comfortable to use and length wise its the best for comfort and reach. Would this be an idea, making all clubs the same length??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I too have heard of making the irons all of the same length but cant say I have ever thought about what that actually means. However, it would mean that you would be hitting 'down' more with the long irons and less with the short irons. The biggest change must be to the distance you would hit them. Long irons would go shorter and short irons longer. This is likely to cause a problem - leaving you with a big gap between your woods/hybrid and your longest iron and also must make wedge play harder.
Best Wishes

Matt

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
what driver do you have now, and what did you have then?

a lot of manufacturers have lengthened drivers by anything up to 2 in. over the past few years. how odd then that not that many pros use them that long.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a Taylor Made R7 TP custon fit. Graffolloy Pured stiff shaft. Oddly, in a long driving contest (how ironic that it actually went strainght for a change!) I won a Callaway Diablo but didnt like it (it had a regular shaft). I tried a playing partners Ping I15. My conclusion (on only one shot) was that with the swing I put on it, my R7 wouldnt have been on the course. So I swapped for an I15, 11 degree (a bit more forgiving) and a stiff stock shaft. The flight is completely different. Higher with alot less side spin. I dont think it goes any further but its much more controlable.

This episode has also made me very wary of the custom fit process. The R7 must have cost me £300+. As with all things golf its what works for you and not anyone else.

Cheers

Matt