Golf Books

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been mulling over the golf books I have, some simply informative or entertaining, some instructional...... and wondered which other good ones people have read that they could recommend.

Here's my list, all worth a read;-

1 The World Atlas of golf
2 The Scottish golf book
3 A complete history of the Ryder Cup
4 How we won the Ryder Cup, the caddies story
5 Peter Alliss- my life (autographed)
6 Nick Faldo- Life Swings (autographed)
7 Golf, a good walk spoiled
8 My baby got the yips

9 Ben Hogan's Five Lessons
10 The Illustrated Rules of Golf

11,12,13 & 14 Dave Pelz - Putting Bible: - Short Game Bible; - Damage Control; -10 minutes a day to better putting

15 Butch Harmon's Playing Lessons
16 Tiger Woods, How I play golf
17 Zen Golf

18, 19, 20 & 21 Bob Rotella - The Brain Game; - The Golfer's Mind - Putting out of you mind; - Golf is not a game of perfect

22 The Swing Factory
23 David Leadbetter, Positive Practice
24 The Golf Companion
25 Going Low

Crumbs, no wonder Dave Pelz and Bob Rotella are minted!

Anyone suggest a good read for the Xmas "lounging about" period?

Cheers

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wow, J-F
I thought MOH had a collection but this is going some - on a par with that driver collection listed recently!
I have ordered the following for xmas presies but hoping to get a sneaky look first. Tell me now if any are rubbish and I shall stop the amazon postie in his tracks.
Tom Cox - Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia (for a golfer laid low by illness right now)
and Nice Jumper
(I guess he is a witty writer from his blog etc)
Swing Perfect
(forget the author - advertised in latest GM issue- sounds up MOHs street in teerms of swing tips, drills etc. to complement Swing Factory which we already have).
Do you rate 'Golf is not a game of perfect' for the mental game? (I know someone with problems there!)

Cheers

AliB

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bring me the head of sergio garcia was a great read! So much so I have ordered his earlier book, nice jumper.

Can also recommend "Tales from the Q School". Fanastic read by the same author of A good walk spoiled.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
AliB,

re "Golf is not a Game of Perfect". I've read it a few times but I'm not sure Rotella is the man for me.

I much preferred "Zen Golf" by Dr Joseph Parent. It's all a little airy fairy for some people but I read it the night before a medal once, put it into action and shot a 77 which would have been a 74 had it not been for a rather evil Craigielaw bunker. It's all about fear of bad shots etc. Basically tells you not to start a swing unless you're confident you're gonna pull it off. Makes you step away when you're not comfortable and banish negative thoughts. Don't think about your swing...your body knows how, sort of thing. It worked for me.

Should maybe read it again, actually.

B

birdieman

John
You've missed the best one -'4 iron in the soul' by Lawrence Donegan, that is a great read.
The next best one is 'In search of Tiger', an excellent read and not just about Tiger as you'd imagine, I read that one cover to cover and I'm not a big reader really.
Also 'Into the bear pit' by Mark James is a good read.

Happy hacker, 'Nice jumper' is decidedly so-so, not great to be frank.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers , birdieman. I've seen the "4 iron in the soul" mentioned a few times here. Will have to give it a bash. Like to read some more golf related books that aren't instruction. Peter Alliss's books are usually highly entertaining but have mislayed a few over the years.

DCB

Visit site
John Feinstein's a good writer, I recently read Open:Inside the ropes at Bethpage Black is a facinating read as to the US open being taken to a municupal course and the work done to actually get there and stage the event. Good insight into what goes on behind the scenes. Theres a book called the Dewsweepers, and american author whos name has just deserted me, it is a good easy read. A good read about a group of guys and their golf.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Four Iron in the Soul = 7/10
Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia = 9/10
John Daly in and out of the rough = 7/10
Tony Jacklin, My Autobiography = 6/10

Good post!, getting tales from Q School from the mother in law for Xmas, will keep me busy on the commute to work.

Happyhacker can you send me a message after you have finished the earlier book to give me the lowdown? Cheers

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recommend "The Bagman" a series of articles by Colin Byrne caddie to Retief Goosen-gives an insight into the life of a caddie on the tour.
I have not read it but Padraig Harrington has a book out on his Open victory.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Htl, no problem will do once I have finished it.

Birdieman, thanks for the heads up. But its already ordered so I will give it a try.

Great post as said, look forward to trying out some of the other ones!