Golf Ball Fitting

HPIMG

Visit site
I have started to consider a ball fitting due to not getting enough spin on my wedges. I am curious to see if others have found a ball fitting worth it ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have started to consider a ball fitting due to not getting enough spin on my wedges. I am curious to see if others have found a ball fitting worth it ?
A spinnier ball off your wedges will mean a spinnier ball off every other club too..so they're likely to lose you yardage

Springveldt

Visit site
What ball do you currently use? If it's a urethane covered ball then changing ball will probably not go how you would like it to go.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good advice. Be wary of a ball that increases your driver spin.
What are you currently using? Are your greens brick hard at the moment or is this always a problem?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Try a sleeve of titleist pro v, pro V1x and Avx balls and pick one. Then try others if you feel you must.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The most expensive balls, ProV1 etc, are designed to offer maximum short game spin by using a grippy cover and minimum spin on long shots through the design of the core.

If you're looking for short game spin then as has already been said, a urethane cover is best but it also tends to be dearest.

If you're a mid handicap and above, it's easier to adapt your short game play to allow for more roll out than to invest in spin.

HPIMG

Visit site
I have used mostly prov1 but I did recently buy some chrome soft. I am not sure if I am imagining it but I felt as if the chrome soft did stop slightly faster.
I am currently playing off 12 but feel my chipping is now costing me shots and would just like a little better stopping power.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A spinnier ball off your wedges will mean a spinnier ball off every other club too..so they're likely to lose you yardage

Not necessarily true if you are using a 3 or more piece ball. It is part the philosophy behind them.

I went to a (verbal) Titleist ball fitting yesterday and the pro started off by saying that on iron Byron every ball in their range went within 5 yards of each with a driver. He was also saying ( my memory serves me well) they go pretty much the same distance with irons but it is how they get to the final finish point that differs.

Not sure I would have agreed with him in actual play but hard for me to truly judge as I only ever play 3 piece balls with high spin rates bit I have seen the difference between makes he was suggesting.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

In the first place I would simply say (if you are not using them) buy 3 or piece urethane covered balls. Which one will depend on things like how hard you hit the ball and your swing speed.

A good place to start would be the online selectors such as

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/find-my-ball/ball-selector-tool
https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-ball-fitting

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with a fitting myself, I just go by reviews like the My Golf Spy one just mentioned above. I looked on there for a ball that roughly met the requirements I wanted. Ended up with the TaylorMade Tour Response which I'm very happy with. You can check out the parameters you need from them though - I think the spinniest ball was the Kirkland ones from Costco?

HPIMG

Visit site
Out of interest, how old are your wedges?
I went from 4,00rpm to 9,500rpm by getting new wedges, not a new golf ball.
I recently upgraded to new vokeys, I do think i am struggling more now due to the course being very dry and firm greens. I think the ball fitting would be interesting to see all the data.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I recently upgraded to new vokeys, I do think i am struggling more now due to the course being very dry and firm greens. I think the ball fitting would be interesting to see all the data.
It can't hurt. I say go for it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What level of golf do you play at? How well do you strike the ball?

Springveldt

Visit site
If you have new Vokeys and are using ProV1’s then the issue is strike quality, not the ball.

If you wanted max spin, according to MyGolfSpy then the Kirkland’s are ridiculously spinny but unfortunately they also spin like crazy off the driver.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

If you have new Vokeys and are using ProV1’s then the issue is strike quality, not the ball.

If you wanted max spin, according to MyGolfSpy then the Kirkland’s are ridiculously spinny but unfortunately they also spin like crazy off the driver.

Have to agree with this; you won't find anywhere firmer or drier than my place at the moment but I can still get short pitches to check up second bounce, with Mizunos that old that I'm through the plating on the sole of the 58* wedge. And that's using low spin balls.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, how old are your wedges?
I went from 4,00rpm to 9,500rpm by getting new wedges, not a new golf ball.
Somethings not right there mate. You'd still get more than 4,000 rpm off a wedge with no groves at all.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Somethings not right there mate. You'd still get more than 4,000 rpm off a wedge with no groves at all.
Well, they were 10 year old Clevelands which had 4,000rpm, the same as a 4 iron I was told. The new Cobra wedges gave me 11,500rpm, which the fitter and I agreed would have been unnecessary.
The bounce, from memory, was quite high, which could have meant I wasn't getting all of the ball up the face maybe? Who knows, but my new wedges are night and day better than the old ones.

RRidges

Visit site
I have used mostly prov1 but I did recently buy some chrome soft. I am not sure if I am imagining it but I felt as if the chrome soft did stop slightly faster.
I am currently playing off 12 but feel my chipping is now costing me shots and would just like a little better stopping power.
Chipping is not really an aspect of the game where getting super amounts of spin is beneficial unless loads of pins are close to the front of the green. It's pitching where loads of spin is useful. Better to practice to get consistent rollout than getting inconsistent rollout from differing amounts of spin from inconsistent strikes.