Golf ball colour... Help !!

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Morning All....

Any help on this issue much appreciated folks.
I played this morning at 06:20, on my own, I usually play yellow balls, srixon soft feel, bridgestone e6 and wilson duo optix.
I had a nightmare seeing the bloody things this morning as the sun was rising and with the dew on the ground I was struggling to find balls that hadn't even gone in the rough.
Now my eyes get checked yearly and my distance sight is good, this purely down to the conditions and playing alone, I normally have mates who see the ball flight and landing if I don't.
So my question is, as I am newish to the game (8 full rounds now), which golf balls are easier to see, especially when playing alone ?
I apologise if this has been asked many times before but this ruined my round today, I came away really frustrated and 8 balls lighter lol.
Any constructive help please.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think it really does depend on the individuals and the conditions. I have a friend who's eyesight is not great and he has found it really helpful to move to yellow golf balls. I also find them easier to see too. Given the conditions you described, I think you'd have the same issue with white balls.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
White is a classic and works consistently well. In winter I find orange pretty good as well. I had a red ball recently and that was awful, it ended up being lost when it was only just off the fairway. We just could not pick it out.

The colour that surprised me was lime green balls. We played a club recently and passed 2 groups who had players in them using these. They stood out so clearly, it was impressive.

As Robster points out, sometimes the weather just doesn't help. I find, in the conditions you described, that the only real way to find your ball is to go past it and look back. The shine of the sun on the dew, with the sun in your eyes, makes it awful to see your ball whatever the colour.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use yellow, find them easy to see

Main reason though mostly is that I’d probably usually be only person using yellow in my group, And I like that I know my ball from a distance if approaching a blind fairway or green. Like a distinctive ball. Have never tried the Truvis, must give them a go

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of the colours I've tried I would rank them in this order:

WORST - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - BEST
matte yellow - dark pink - normal yellow - orange - white

At beginning of this list I would add black, dark blue.

Morning All....

Any help on this issue much appreciated folks.
I played this morning at 06:20, on my own, I usually play yellow balls, srixon soft feel, bridgestone e6 and wilson duo optix.
I had a nightmare seeing the bloody things this morning as the sun was rising and with the dew on the ground I was struggling to find balls that hadn't even gone in the rough.
Now my eyes get checked yearly and my distance sight is good, this purely down to the conditions and playing alone, I normally have mates who see the ball flight and landing if I don't.
So my question is, as I am newish to the game (8 full rounds now), which golf balls are easier to see, especially when playing alone ?
I apologise if this has been asked many times before but this ruined my round today, I came away really frustrated and 8 balls lighter lol.
Any constructive help please.

When there is dew on the ground looks for breaks/impact points in the dew where the ball has landed and ball trails along the ground.

Personally I prefer using yellow if conditions demand a coloured ball but in the main I play white ones.

When you get better one of the things is to get to know your swing and what type of shot you have hit, which helps to look in the right direction in the first place.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Thanks all, I've just bought some wilson duo optix ( I like them ) in orange from AG as I get a discount 24 for £36 Inc next day delivery.
Some helpful responses, so thanks for that.
Still learning the game ( 49 years old lol) so cant always tell exactly where the ball has gone if I don't see it, I'm improving tho, scores have dropped by 13 in the last 3 weeks, still rubbish like ?‍♂️
Thanks again to all who responded ??

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Of the colours I've tried I would rank them in this order:

WORST - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - BEST
matte yellow - dark pink - normal yellow - orange - white

you missed out GREEN:LOL:

I was playing early this when a player approached me from the next fairway coming in the opposite direction asking if I'd seen his ball....and then he said it should be easy to spot as it was green!!! I did look at him as though he was extracting the urine but he was earnestly serious...any way I moved on thirty yards or so up my fairway and lo and behold...there is was....gleaming away like an emerald in a grassy oasis in a little fairway undulation.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, I've just bought some wilson duo optix ( I like them ) in orange from AG as I get a discount 24 for £36 Inc next day delivery.
Some helpful responses, so thanks for that.
Still learning the game ( 49 years old lol) so cant always tell exactly where the ball has gone if I don't see it, I'm improving tho, scores have dropped by 13 in the last 3 weeks, still rubbish like ?‍♂️
Thanks again to all who responded ??
When the weather is like that you can see where it goes when you hit it and still not find it! Get the line, follow it and hope for the best (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was playing early this when a player approached me from the next fairway coming in the opposite direction asking if I'd seen his ball....and then he said it should be easy to spot as it was green!!! I did look at him as though he was extracting the urine but he was earnestly serious...any way I moved on thirty yards or so up my fairway and lo and behold...there is was....gleaming away like an emerald in a grassy oasis in a little fairway undulation.
I've never tried green! Logically speaking it sounds like the stupidest colour on top of green grass, but people have said it's better than you would think (in this thread even). I still wouldn't try one.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I see yellow and matte yellow the best, then white, then a long way back (lost them in flight and tough to see on the ground) the white/red truvis.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I bought a pack of these for a friend for his birthday. :devilish:
gSLVwOp4tjLpbRpItmpRld7H0XgQ8y155bk5L_12_UT80qwpaoou1E-e0YiUMzrK1IpPfmHd_1fosBUUg2Jw_gddB-BdR2s9ofZ5LhmQ0QsJxeWY0pk_

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

just where you had kicked it to:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted Member 1156

White is definitely the best option, you can then match them with any colour tee pegs.

Nothing worse than a bright pink ball on an orange castle tee ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Everyone's eyesight is different so it'll differ from golfer to golfer. For me white or yellow work best. I sometimes play the red and white Truvis in cloudy conditions as I seem I can follow those in flight well

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The yellow black tru vis show up well I think. The pattern breaks things up and tends to stick out more.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Everyone's eyesight is different so it'll differ from golfer to golfer. For me white or yellow work best. I sometimes play the red and white Truvis in cloudy conditions as I seem I can follow those in flight well

I cannot follow them at all so I think you are right that we are all different.

I use white or yellow in summer but stick to yellow in winter, much easier for me to see in low light.