Golf Bags Zips

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wahey, another zip gone. This time on a "STA-DRY" but not anymore, golf bag. It's onlt been in use for 10 months (I've had it for 18) so am in discussion with where I've purchased it from. I don't hold out any hope really. It's really hissing me off. How hard can it be for bag manufacturers to make sure the zips are fit for purpose? The best ones I've ever seen were on a bag I bought, but the wife now has. PING! Big chunky zips. You can feel them open and close when you move the fastener. Smooth as silk. No sign of them breaking. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new bag with special attention to be paid to the zips on them!!!!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Wahey, another zip gone. This time on a "STA-DRY" but not anymore, golf bag. It's onlt been in use for 10 months (I've had it for 18) so am in discussion with where I've purchased it from. I don't hold out any hope really. It's really hissing me off. How hard can it be for bag manufacturers to make sure the zips are fit for purpose? The best ones I've ever seen were on a bag I bought, but the wife now has. PING! Big chunky zips. You can feel them open and close when you move the fastener. Smooth as silk. No sign of them breaking. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new bag with special attention to be paid to the zips on them!!!!

I know precisely the type of zip you refer to, and I’ve had them go on two bags in recent years. I’ll never buy another bag with that zip - I’m amazed any manufacturer still uses them.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've had StaDry for 5 years now. The zips aren't as robust as metal ones, and you have to load your bag with that taken into consideration. My bag use fully loaded to cover all eventualities, but I don't force them closed. They're still watertight.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the zips on waterproof bags that tend to break.
Typical design is a plastic zip welded to the bag, and the welds fail.

It seems to me that an obviously better design would be a traditional metal zip stitched to the pocket plus a flap to keep out the rain.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate gave me two bags (which I use for club storage) one Motacaddy and the other Powakaddy both with broken zips.

One has a modern style and the other a traditional

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was just wondering as I have never had a zip fail on a golf bag. Maybe I’m lucky.
Lucky or you just bought more expensive high quality bags? I've had zips fail but for years I tended to only buy second hand or £100 ones so makes sense really. Note: if anyone reading this is thinking about buying a MacGregor bag, don't. :LOL:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lucky or you just bought more expensive high quality bags? I've had zips fail but for years I tended to only buy second hand or £100 ones so makes sense really. Note: if anyone reading this is thinking about buying a MacGregor bag, don't. :LOL:
Bin there done that. Rubbish. And welded zips, utter rubbish

Billysboots

Visit site
I was just wondering as I have never had a zip fail on a golf bag. Maybe I’m lucky.

Maybe you have.

I had a Motocaddy Dry Series cart bag. About £200 I paid for it so not especially cheap. The welded zip on the ball pocket lasted six months, and I am in no way heavy handed. They replaced it, and the same thing happened again, this time after eight months.

I wouldn’t touch another bag with welded zips. They may well be waterproof, but not when they’re broken.

carldudley

Visit site
Ah this all sounds familiar. 2nd hand Motocaddy bag, three zips gone, bought a new TM Staff bag and even one of those went - though they were good enough to send me another and let me keep the first.

I echo the points about Ping, I've had the Hoofer 14 since the day i started playing, packed tons of stuff in there and never had an issue

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm looking for a bag myself at moment. Never had a waterproof bag but thinking it could be worth spending a bit extra on one. Sounds like ping might be way to go

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Either I've been extraordinarily lucky over the last 10 years or so of owning waterproof bags with welded zips or some of you guys don't treat your equipment properly. Never ever had a problem with the zips but there again I'm careful not to put too much stress on them. The only reason that I have replaced the 2 that I had in that time (H2No and Ecco) was because the padding in the dividers (to protect against bag rub) had worn through.

Billysboots

Visit site
Either I've been extraordinarily lucky over the last 10 years or so of owning waterproof bags with welded zips or some of you guys don't treat your equipment properly. Never ever had a problem with the zips but there again I'm careful not to put too much stress on them. The only reason that I have replaced the 2 that I had in that time (H2No and Ecco) was because the padding in the dividers (to protect against bag rub) had worn through.

It seems that one or two here have a little difficulty in accepting that maybe, just maybe, welded zips are not particularly robust. I am absolutely OCD when it comes to my golf gear, and certainly don’t mistreat my kit.