Golf as portrayed on screen

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just watching an old midsomer murders on TV and it is set at a golf course, what a set of pompous, privileged members there are, it doesn't do club memberships any favours, the course it is filmed on doesn't look in great condition, especially the bunkers, seems it is Chiddingfold GC which is a relatively new course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just watching an old midsomer murders on TV and it is set at a golf course, what a set of pompous, privileged members there are, it doesn't do club memberships any favours, the course it is filmed on doesn't look in great condition, especially the bunkers, seems it is Chiddingfold GC which is a relatively new course.
Peter Alliss designed if I remember and must be about 20 years old. I know it had issues with owners and so probably wasn't kept brilliantly depending on when it was filmed. I thought it had been bought out by a group of members.

Golf on TV is definitely stuck in a 70's time warp and most clubs have definitely begun moving with the types. Fortunately (or not depending on your view) golf clubs don't feature on TV that often to perpetuate the sterotyping and hopefully going forward TV can show modern clubs in a better light

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What with the cost of golf equipment, the dresscode, and having to interview before being allowed to join some clubs, I can't believe that the general public have an image of golf being pompous.

What a shock.
You mean in the same way rugby clubs are full of old bluffers and hooray henries guzzling beer, or footy clubs full of fat old men on a sunday or overpaid young things, or bowls clubs full of zimmer frames, or squash clubs full of marketing execs?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Chiddingfold in March and the weather was terrible. Course was OK but a bit muddy in places. Very little facilities, very small basic clubhouse and they didn't even have an air machine.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Chiddingfold in March and the weather was terrible. Course was OK but a bit muddy in places. Very little facilities, very small basic clubhouse and they didn't even have an air machine.

How did you get on when playing Crisp's Folly?! (Hole 13 according to last night's episode)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, anyone that watches an episode of Midsomer Murders and believes that it is an accurate portrayal of real life is incredibly deluded.
You are entirely correct but it does perpetuate a stereotype, one that many places are trying to alter. Not worth getting wound up about but just about worthy of a sigh of disappointment :rolleyes: :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Recently watched a 'what-if' film about the disappearance of Agatha Christa way back then. One long scene where she was discussing things with Arthur Conan Dole was filmed on a golf course. It looked like Surrey and it might have been St George's Hill - that sort of style and age of building.

Anyway what was quite amusing to my golfer eyes was that in some scenes there seemed to be golfers in the background wandering aimlessly about in the course - swinging clubs in what seemed random directions - all in period golfing gear of course :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Probably not what the thread intended to illustrate as its a comedy sketch but this guy seems to have quite a few stereotypical traits :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course was featured in a Tic Tac advert about a decade ago.

That there is the 1st green at Haste Hill. Weirdly, when I stick it in one of those bunkers those little tictac bastards are nowhere to be found. :LOL:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
What with the cost of golf equipment, the dresscode, and having to interview before being allowed to join some clubs, I can't believe that the general public have an image of golf being pompous.

What a shock.
The cost is like any sport, you can pay as little or as much as you like for kit. When I look a the cost of cycling gear, golf seems cheap by comparison.
I think that you are just promoting the stereotype as far as dress code and interviews are concerned. At our club, and I think most clubs these days, the dress code is much relaxed and our "interview" is a welcome to the club to make sure the person settles in, shows them where everything is, tries to arrange for them to join groups if they want to, etc. Certainly not "are you the right type for this club".