Golf abroad

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’re off to Spain for a few days next week, been a couple of times before but always up for new ideas.

So, what are your essential items to take (aside from clubs and sun cream!), packing tips (we’re only taking clubs plus a small bag on the plane), tips for not getting too drunk on night 1, etc etc?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If it's a few days, personally I'd hire clubs, takes a load of hassle out of travelling. Use trainers instead of golf shoes - just check the weather will be dry - which it probably will be
Pack as much clobber in your golf travel bag to free up space in your hand luggage, and buy balls at the course, that will save you some weight on the baggage allowance. Buy beer for the course from the supermarket, rather than the course - miles cheaper.
As for getting drunk on nght 1, get as drunk as possible, as early as possible, and go to bed - that way you have longer to recover before the tee time in the morning ;-)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Decent sunglasses, extra golf caps, bottle opener, mini hand towel (for sweat not clubs)

Sorry but no tips for not drinking too much on hols :cool:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's a few days, personally I'd hire clubs, takes a load of hassle out of travelling. Use trainers instead of golf shoes - just check the weather will be dry - which it probably will be
Pack as much clobber in your golf travel bag to free up space in your hand luggage, and buy balls at the course, that will save you some weight on the baggage allowance. Buy beer for the course from the supermarket, rather than the course - miles cheaper.
As for getting drunk on nght 1, get as drunk as possible, as early as possible, and go to bed - that way you have longer to recover before the tee time in the morning ;-)

Good point about getting drunk as early as poss, we’re teeing off earlier than usual this time, normally we’re late and only heading out about 8pm. Should be more like 6pm this time, and so midnight will seem like 2am!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Good point about getting drunk as early as poss, we’re teeing off earlier than usual this time, normally we’re late and only heading out about 8pm. Should be more like 6pm this time, and so midnight will seem like 2am!

Where you headed - once stayed out waaaay to late in Puerto Banus on our last night - took days to recover ;-)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Where you headed - once stayed out waaaay to late in Puerto Banus on our last night - took days to recover ;-)

That’s where we’re going too. Playing La Quinta, Marbella golf & country club and Santa Clara. We’ve previously been to la Cala twice and it’ll be nice being in the town, not having to get taxis at 3am etc! However, we’re being picked up disgustingly early on the last day and so we’re saying we’ll be sensible the night before…yeh right!

Bobthesock

Visit site
That’s where we’re going too. Playing La Quinta, Marbella golf & country club and Santa Clara. We’ve previously been to la Cala twice and it’ll be nice being in the town, not having to get taxis at 3am etc! However, we’re being picked up disgustingly early on the last day and so we’re saying we’ll be sensible the night before…yeh right!
Try and play a and c course at la Quinta. That's the championship layout, B has some nice holes on it but is pretty short

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Yeah, La Cala is ok but it's a bit isolated up in them there hills.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I take it you have a golf travel bag as you have been before. If not put a large towel round your clubs at the top to prevent them getting damaged. Take an extra bottle of water, perhaps 2. if weather is going to be good avoid taking wet gear. mosquito spray! Headache tablets.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just put water bottles in the freezer then in your bag in the morning ?

I used to do that, then you are either waiting for them to thaw so you can drink or miffed that that inside of your bag is wet from them thawing.... increasingly courses are filling flasks for you to reduce "single use plastics"

Bobthesock

Visit site
I used to do that, then you are either waiting for them to thaw so you can drink or miffed that that inside of your bag is wet from them thawing.... increasingly courses are filling flasks for you to reduce "single use plastics"
When it's hot they thaw out quickly, also your bag dosnt get wet because it's in the sun. Works for me, although I agree it's better to use on course fountains but not everywhere has them. You don't want to end up paying 3 euros a bottle at the course

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is bottled water not free in Spain? Certainly is in Turkey.

Tap water is free in Spain, and safe to drink.
I usually make up a couple of bottles of diluted juice - with water from the tap, then freeze one and keep the other in the fridge. Pop them both in a cool bag and job's a good un.