Going to the BMW PGA Championship next Friday

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So this will be the first time I have attended the European Tour's flagship event. Have been to Wentworth before but that was for the World Matchplay.

So I thought i'd get some opinions, tips, advice etc for the day from those who have been before.

Any thoughts?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
So this will be the first time I have attended the European Tour's flagship event. Have been to Wentworth before but that was for the World Matchplay.

So I thought i'd get some opinions, tips, advice etc for the day from those who have been before.

Any thoughts?

I'm there friday too. Great day out.

Take lunch & drinks and save yourself some cash.

My main advice would be , dont try following the 'top' groups all the way round, you end up walking more than watching. Get a few hole in front of them, and stay in one spot for a period of time.

The 8th tee is a favourite place of mine, as you can see players tee off on 8, hit into the 10th green and then tee off on 11.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you don't own a BMW then try to borrow a spare key from someone who does. It will get you into the BMW hospitality units in the tented village and behind the 14th green where you get free tea/coffee/water. The tented village unit is air conditioned which is handy if it's a warm day, it also has posh toilets ;)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going on Saturday and Sunday, in the in-laws BMW, so should be a good day. Can't wait to see the pros up close for the first time. Praying that Rory makes the cut, really want to see him play a few shots, particularly with the driver!

Managed to get grandstand tickets for Sunday too, so that should be awesome!

matchrat

Medal Winner
Visit site
Go every year - looking like we might get decent weather this year. Depends what your looking for. Best place to watch swings is on the range. If you want to get really close to pros then late in the day follow some of the not so top draws as there is often not that many people out watching. I quite like watching 4/5 or so of the top groups go thorough a hole and then skipping ahead 4 or so holes for some clear air and repeating. Also make sure someone has charged smartphone with European tour app as it makes it a lot easier to keep up to date with whats happening in the tournament. Remember watching Rory two years ago - we were looking for his ball every other hole - he had to climb through loads o bushes were a spectator had found a ball but it wasn't his.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm there friday too. Great day out.

Take lunch & drinks and save yourself some cash.

My main advice would be , dont try following the 'top' groups all the way round, you end up walking more than watching. Get a few hole in front of them, and stay in one spot for a period of time.

The 8th tee is a favourite place of mine, as you can see players tee off on 8, hit into the 10th green and then tee off on 11.

That sounds like a good idea. May well start the day down in that area.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have a number of favourite watching places
Behind the 2nd green is good as it's a par 3 you can get right up close and also see them tee off on the 3rd.

As has been said the area around the 10th green where you can see the 8th tee, 11th tee and 10th green.

If you can get behind the 17th tee boards it's a great downhill view

But having the seat in the stand is great, when play is not on the 18th green the screens are up and you can easily follow play on other holes

Have fun :)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is probably a daft question, but i'm guessing that cameras are still out of the question once the tournament has begun?

I'm normally discreet when snapping but i'm guessing that wont matter!

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is probably a daft question, but i'm guessing that cameras are still out of the question once the tournament has begun?

I'm normally discreet when snapping but i'm guessing that wont matter!

I normally get a sneaky few photos with my phone, you're not supposed to but as long as it's on silent and you are discreet about it you will be fine.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit out the way but the 9th tee isn't bad as you can get directly behind them teeing off on a long straight par 4 so you can see all the different shot shapes etc, if that's your thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd rather go to a practice day as it does get packed and not always easy to follow marquee groups around. As others have said if you can get a good spot and stay there, you can get pretty close to the action. Either way, enjoy

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going the Wednesday and the Thursday. I like to follow a group instead of staying in one place, I think you get a better feel for the round and how the pros work their way about.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm there on the Friday as well, my first time so thanks everyone who has posted suggestions on good spots.

Bought these tickets as a present for the father-in-law so it'll be his call on where we end up. Hoping we can spend some time in one of these spots, some time following one or two groups, and then retire to the 18th grandstand when he gets knackered (he was pretty ill last year and is still recovering).

Anyone got any golfers they especially want to see? For me, apart from the obvious big guns like Rory and Justin, I want to make sure I see Eddie Pepperell as he's a local lad from my old club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm there on the Friday as well, my first time so thanks everyone who has posted suggestions on good spots.

Bought these tickets as a present for the father-in-law so it'll be his call on where we end up. Hoping we can spend some time in one of these spots, some time following one or two groups, and then retire to the 18th grandstand when he gets knackered (he was pretty ill last year and is still recovering).

Anyone got any golfers they especially want to see? For me, apart from the obvious big guns like Rory and Justin, I want to make sure I see Eddie Pepperell as he's a local lad from my old club.

Have a great day and hope dads recovery continues.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm there Sunday. I think 4th year in succession now.

Also got 18th grandstand seats as well. :D

We tend go watch a few groups from behind the 2nd tee, then wander up and watch the range for about an hour before the lead groups go out. Then head to the 1st and watch the last 3-4 groups tee off. Then go get a spot of lunch.

We'll then wander back down the 18th, 17th, 16th, 15th etc and then follow some of the mid pack back, stopping at a few good spots and watch some groups though, I time it so we get back to the 18th to see the last 5-6 groups finish.

You don't get to see all the course this way, but I've seen it before so it gives you a god mix and some good spots to watch from as they get going and come back in.

I've tried following 1 group all way round before but it just gets too busy with the top names.

But the range is an absolute must. It will just shock you how far they hit it with such little effort. Watching them on TV just doesn't do it justice.

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Any thoughts?

Do you need a plus 1 ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Few of our members are marshalling again. Think I might put my name forward next year. Not sure how some have managed it or if it's on offers to members of local clubs who provide marshalls but some have been offered a free game at Wentworth next week as a thank you