Going to see U2 tonight

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds like a good night, my elder brother and a mate are going too. Apparently they have spent quite a fewquid on the stage show from what I hear.

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
There is something like 500 stage crew to build it, stage rotates (360 tour) to open up all the stadium. Have seen them before they were excellent. Support group tonight is Glasvegas who I don't know, Kaiserchiefs tomorrow night and the Script on Monday so feel a little hard done by!

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dead jealous!

Saw them at the Manchester arena on the "Elevation" tour and they were totally superb!

Enjoy ;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bonios rubbish, I hope you're being paid. Ian Poulter of rock. :p

Dream on mate , IMO biggest rock band in the world saw them 22 years ago with The Pouges at Murrayfield,superb they were.
You wont be disappointed with Glasvegas there really good ,i saw The Script with Take That and they were great,really good live.
I tried for tickets for The Hampden show but no luck so enjoy

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
Show was awesome, the stage is unbelievable. Glasvegas as I thought weren't up to much but were playing to a half empty stage. I know people have their own views on U2 but if you like them it is definately worth going to. I agree that most people like their older stuff better but some of the new album was excellent live. They did a remix of don't go crazy which to me was the highlight of the night.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad to hear it was good. I'm not surprised, they are the one band I have seen live more than any other.
It's beyond me why people slate them. OK, so the last few albums have been a bit dull and predictable (by U2 standards) but they are very, very good live. Bono is a soulful guy (even if a bit "Jim Morrison" with his ego) but always sings well and is a convincing front man. Edge is helped no end by SO much gear it's not true, but if you want to sound "as per the album" what else is there to do....

I like the acoustic moments the best, and the great tunes from Joshua Tree etc. Fabulous band and fabulous live show.....far better than many of the "disappointments" from a similar period.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bono is the biggest pain in the erse ever to walk the planet.

Has anyone made more money form millions of peoples suffering? The whole Live 8 thing only increased record sales thus lining their pockets with unexpected royalties. I used to like them when I was a kid in the 80's but Bono is a pompous, obnoxious waste of time.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bono might have lined his pockets, but nothing can be taken away from the benefits for 3rd world countries that come from those type of gigs.

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
Madandra I do not dispute what you say about Bono and his ego and the money he has made BUT he is still an excellent singer and U2 are in my opinion one of the best live acts ever. If we were to slate everyone who has made lots of money and live to fill their egos that would mean not supporting premiership football (spl???), many golfers and most other musicians.

Brendan

Club Champion
Visit site
They are some of the best business men in the world, they make more money from tours than selling albums, abit like the rolling stones, aerosmith, kiss, metallica etc.

You should see the amount of company's they owned, i use to work for their accountants and got free tickets to there slane gigs afew years ago,but not my cup of tea.

Impression's of bono are that he does some good work but likes to get his praise for it.

I believe the 360 stage in dublin could not turn the full 360 and only turned 270, could be wrong though.Quite funny about the protest's afterwards though.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to go with madandre on this one, I liked U2 in the early days, but then I got to see what Bono is really about...(HIMSELF) and he will use any angle there is to be noticed , even at the expense of the many causes he claims to be behind. Hes a tallented singer/musician who thinks he is some kind of god........I went off them quicker than a rat up an aquaduct.

U2 is a business, that makes huge sums of money daily, yet they want joe public to do the digging deep fpr the causes when U2 themselves could double any amount raised, they dont! Who are the suckers, for the sake of a popular tune or two??

Its sad but true, that if Bono gave up music and became a politician, he would get voted in in the blink of an eye, and that is so wrong.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Music wise i think there superb but didn't they move all there all there business accounts to banks in Switzerland so they didnt pay tax?. Gone are the days when they were a struggling punk band.