GO KART , battery options

Bassfisher

Visit site
So recently I’ve bought two go karts one for me and the wife, both second hand both about £150 each , but despite the sellers assurance on the battery neither lasts 18 holes. They’re both mk1’s. So my question is do the go karts require specific go kart batteries or is it a one size fits all situation, as the go kart batteries are a fair bit more expensive than others?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I eventually had to replace my GoKart lead acid battery and bought a lithium one. Its lighter, smaller, and quicker to charge - best buy as far as I'm concerned - I got mine from Chris at GoKart

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a LitePower lithium as a replacement, still going strong after 6 years. It was a good bit smaller so I had to fit a support bracket and tie raps to the GoKart cradle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest speaking to Go-Kart. They may be able to give you some advice. They have a very good customer service set up. I did find after about 3 years my lead acid battery on the MK1 started to lose its charge and it got to the point where it struggled to do 18 so I upgraded to a MK2 with lead acid. Had an issue with that battery and GK sent a free replacement even though it had crept outside warranty by about 6 weeks. All good until it tipped over on a slope and snapped one of the connectors to the battery straight off. Had to push it for the last 9 on a hilly course and needed a trolley for a round two days after so ended up buying the Motocaddy. Would definitely go back to GK and keep looking at their site

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did find after about 3 years my lead acid battery on the MK1 started to lose its charge and it got to the point where it struggled to do 18 so I upgraded to a MK2 with lead acid. Had an issue with that battery and GK sent a free replacement even though it had crept outside warranty by about 6 weeks. All good until it tipped over on a slope and snapped one of the connectors to the battery straight off. Had to push it for the last 9 on a hilly course and needed a trolley for a round two days after so ended up buying the Motocaddy. Would definitely go back to GK and keep looking at their site

So let's get this straight. You had a Mk1 trolley where the battery started to fail after about 3 years so you bought a Mk 2 trolley instead of upgrading/replacing the battery. The battery on the new trolley started to fail after 1y and 6 weeks so you got a replacement battery from GC FOC. Then, because of "user error" you broke the trolley and bought an inferior product instead. One phone call to GC would have got you a replacement connector, probably FOC.

What planet are you on Homie??

"Would definitely go back to GK and keep looking at their site"

Why???? You've bought a "carp" alternative. Or do you just like reading the humour in their sales pitch?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So let's get this straight. You had a Mk1 trolley where the battery started to fail after about 3 years so you bought a Mk 2 trolley instead of upgrading/replacing the battery. The battery on the new trolley started to fail after 1y and 6 weeks so you got a replacement battery from GC FOC. Then, because of "user error" you broke the trolley and bought an inferior product instead. One phone call to GC would have got you a replacement connector, probably FOC.
Why???? You've bought a "carp" alternative. Or do you just like reading the humour in their sales pitch?

vic n bob.PNG

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

Perhaps he realised that the centre of gravity on the gokart was too high and prone to topple over on the slightest slope. Then he decided to buy a market leading "superior product" that doesn't fall over when the wind blows ?‍♂️

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps he realised that the centre of gravity on the gokart was too high and prone to topple over on the slightest slope. Then he decided to buy a market leading "superior product" that doesn't fall over when the wind blows ?‍♂️
In which case he'd be wrong. I've had my GoKart at least 6 years and it's only blown over about 5 times in the wind and that includes playing in the infamous "beast from the east" forum meet. Whenever I've had anything go wrong , which is rare, they've always sent the parts and I've fixed it within a couple of days

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does the blowing over happen on hilly courses? I've had a Go-Kart, lithium, for about 4 years now. It has never blown over, never come close. My course is quite flat but I have played hilly courses during this time and never seen it as a potential issue. We are not short of a strong wind in the NE of England so if it was going to be tested then this is the place for it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I replaced my Mk2 as we barely have a flat piece of ground on the course and the trolley toppled a few times.
More to the point it felt like it was going to topple on a regular basis and the extra pressure needed on the frame to keep it upright gave the impression something important was going to snap.
The Mk2 battery is a little lower than the Mk1 but still fairly high.
The Motocaddy I replaced it with has the majority of the weight 2 or 3 inches off the ground.
Its much more stable and has only gone over once in a gale when I positioned it badly.
I also don't have to,put much side pressure on the handle to keep it upright
The GK is a good bit of kit and if I was playing on a flattish course there would be no issue and I doubt I would have changed
But I don't think it handles major side slopes particularly well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
In which case he'd be wrong. I've had my GoKart at least 6 years and it's only blown over about 5 times in the wind and that includes playing in the infamous "beast from the east" forum meet. Whenever I've had anything go wrong , which is rare, they've always sent the parts and I've fixed it within a couple of days
It should never blow over!! I was only joking saying they blow over.
Yes they have good customer service but it doesn't make up for a poor design.
I had a mk1 gokart and it was garbage. Really noisy, unstable and don't get me started on the automatic handle. There's a reason they're not mainstream

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm not going to get into the "which trolley is better" argument as they all have their positive or negatives. I play on a hilly course which also gets very windy. It's never been blown over (although I don't use an umbrella which I've seen blow over all types of trolleys) and I don't have an issue with parking it. I agree the centre of gravity is higher than on alternative trollies but I've had my Mk.1 GoKart now for 10+ years and its not rocket science to stop it in the right place. It's even survived a trip into the burn (my fault, not the trolley). I keep thinking should I replace it but as it still trundles on I can't think of any reason why I should. Early GoKarts where noisy but the new ones are not, and mine, although old, isn't.
I replaced the Lead/Acid battery with a Lithium one (again quite a few years ago) and that has made me determined I'd never go back to the Lead/Acid ones. Most modern trollies seem to have bespoke batteries shaped to fit the trolley which make it more difficult to fit third party batteries which I do find annoying.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The battery was identical to the original one. Same case, markings and everything. It was grey not black though. So it was a straight swap. Here it is
"LSLA20-12 Lucas SLA Battery 12V 20Ah - Lucas Batteries" https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-batteries/lucas/lsla20-12/

Got mine for £30 at the time
That's how I did mine except I got a Lithium one but the same shape so it fitted in no problem. I got fed up of the Lead/Acid ones dying.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site