GM Forum Day Out

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Nico
I think the motive for your idea was laudable. Sad that it has been dismissed in such a negative fashion. I would willingly support it were it to go ahead.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"As far as I am aware us Scottish forumers are the only ones who have managed to organise any kind of meet so far that didn't involve playing GM staff. There has been endless talk of forum meets on this forum with very little actually coming off".

Us forumers in Ireland had a meet last month, and a great days golf it was, Ok there was only 4 of us there but I think there is only about 7 or so on here from Ireland. Think its about time we started planning another.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nico

I'm sorry if it came across as overly negative or insular about travelling. I'm not adverse to travelling to anywhere in the south (London, Surrey, Berks, Hants, Oxon, Sussex etc) but at the moment monetarily things are going to get tight and I couldn't justify travelling vast distances or stay overnight hence the idea of regional events and a grand final.

I would be willing to help a higher handicapper but to be honest my game is not in great shape so it would be hypocritical of me to try and impart knowledge when my own house isn't in order.

I'd be happy to get involved in helping stage a home counties event providing I got some additional help and I'm sure we could find a suitable location geographically.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's easy to say yes/but, however yes/but I didnt want this to be a willy showing contest.

I am acutely aware that the only S/E events have been a kind of look at my mates love fest and I wanted to take it away from there.

I didnt want a competition (oh god I'm a Hippy!!) just a bit of a mentor/guidance thing with some pro help.

Oh god! I am a Hippy!!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer. We are in each others pockets so it should be logistically easy.

The format might be an issue but all things are possible!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Okay so the dig was perhaps a little low, but it was tongue in cheek.

Great that you guys have been able to get together, perhaps us southeners are just less friendly than you Scots!!

So how about it, anyone a member of a club around Basingstoke that all those from Surrey, Hampshire and Reading area could meet up for a round?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I wouldn't mind a GM tournament and the different regions have there own comps or team and every few months the different areas face each other.

As for lessons I have had one about 6 years ago and just learn on the course and have fun, I don't have the cash for lessons and all the gear and green fees so its the course with my step son first and formost.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i am of the opinion that i am no where near good enough to teach or give advice to anybody on playing golf,give tips tout that may be wrong, i can see where birdieman is coming from and players if wanting lessons should go to a pro.
it is very advisable tho to have an area gm day out,ours was a great day out

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
No I'm not I'm afraid, near Southampton. The only reason I said somewhere south of Brum was to try and get as big a catchment area as poss.

As for the main gist of the thread. I get the impression that
1 - make it regional for ease of travelling, time etc.
2 - keep the costs down, ie not too expensive
3 - advice could be given if requested by the better players
4 - a clinic in the AM with a pro would be good subject to costs.
5 - It's got to be fun

I'm always up for a game locally if anyone is around on a more ad hoc basis. I believe that it's good to play with other people occasionaly. After all this is (in general) a fairly social site, but I suspect that some may have a little more 'character' on here than they do in real life.

Not a critisism, personally I find certain social situations difficult, especially when we have nothing in common, and I don't do small talk very well, apparently I show my boredem quite easily!! Perhaps that's why forums work. You can take part in the bits that interest you, and ignore the rest. Difficult to do when you're stood next to someone in 'real life'.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I am exactly like I am in real life on this forum which is why I probably won't get invited to one of the get togethers :) I am a friendly person tho and i don't go out of my way to cause trouble - I'd be interested in a GM Forum knock-out cup or something if we could ever arrange it.
I thought Nico's idea was well meant but good willed words put into lifeless text can so often come across as arrogant or something else. I like to get advice from someone I'm playing with if I think they can help me in a certain area of my game but a meet to get tips off someone off a lower handicap wouldn't interest me. A get together to play as a society would though and i'd like the chance to meet alot of you personally so we'll get a better insight into our personalities and can read each others posts with a sense of who the person really is.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
"As far as I am aware us Scottish forumers are the only ones who have managed to organise any kind of meet so far that didn't involve playing GM staff. There has been endless talk of forum meets on this forum with very little actually coming off".

Us forumers in Ireland had a meet last month, and a great days golf it was, Ok there was only 4 of us there but I think there is only about 7 or so on here from Ireland. Think its about time we started planning another.

Us boys in Kent, Me, MVP, Leftie & Smudge had a successful meet. Welcome anybody who wants to join us for another also.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nico, I learn more from watching good golfers in my group than I do being told what to do. If you guys had a meet and mixed high/mid/low cappers together I am sure everyone would benefit. Get it going and you will have a day to remember.

PS

Post the pics please.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think its a great idea. Good idea even if it just gets everyone together for a day out, meet up and put names to faces.

For everyone who doesnt like the idea, no ones twisting your arm.

Whats wrong with having a society day and having a few experianced opinions on hand. How many times has someone said, ' i think you came in a little flat there' or 'you should keep the weight on your lead foot when chipping'

Is this really someone trying to coach you? No, its just someones advice, if you dont want it, dont take it.

I think with lower handicappers on hand it will benefit those who want the advice.

For me, i love playing with decent lads, I always learn from playing with them!

I'm up for it!