GM Forum Day Out

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not a new subject I know but perhaps a twist.

How many of us lucky low handicappers would be willing to organise/host a day out on our courses for those who either dont yet have a handicap or would like to lower it?

I am sure we could do something which would involve a swing overview,short game clinic and help with course management.

Possibly placing a single figure guy with each group on the course to help with routines,course management etc?

Ideas/volunteers?

B

birdieman

This idea is daft.

Just because you're a low handicapper doesn't qualify you in any way to teach golf.

High handicappers should be going to a PGA pro to improve, not driving half way across the country listening to people like Nico or me who probably need lessons ourselves despite having a low handicap.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Great idea. It's also a great idea to take to your club. It would help reduce some of the 'stuffiness' associated with the game towards new comers or high h'cappers. I'm sure that the low h'cappers may pick a thing or two up as well whilst showing others the ropes.

It can be very difficult for someone that is now proficient at the game to remember what it was like to be learning from the start, and the difficulties encountered.

Might also bring in new members to the clubs which equals more money for the bar, pro shop, lessons etc.

So simple and yet so brilliant.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Though I agree with you in principle, high h'cappers can learn a few tricks from more experianced golfers. Course management, hints and tips etc. I don't think anyone is suggesting that you completly rework your swing based on what an amatuer tells you.

I've been a professional instructor in sailing before, and I've been racing for 30 years, with some success, and yet when I get the oppotunity to race with more experianced or better yachters than me I always end up learning something new, or looking at a situation in a different way. Dare I say it, that has made me as good as I am in that field. (Not perfect you understand though!)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get a grip man!!

I have at least one lesson a month,and practice twice a week at least.

I would never pretend to be a teacher,but I could organise our pro to give a clinic,is that beyond you too?

Have you not played with people off high handicaps who actually hit it ok but just dont know how to get it around the course,when just a bit of friendly advice would help loads?

Could you not get your pro on the course and maybe one or two of the assistants to spend a bit of time with each group?

This is no ego trip just a way to help people on the journey.

Dont they deserve it?

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nico
I can see where you're coming from, but not sure it would work. I can't think of anyone other than pro's who would set themselves up as teachers,and a beginner needs to feel absolute confidence in the source of 'wisdom'. Most decent club players will play with comparative beginners and often offer tips if they feel it appropriate (and if asked) but not on any formal basis. and presumably involving pro's would require the exchange of cash anda lot of organisation.
Surely a beginner/improver can find help somewhere locally if not at the home club. Not meaning to pour cold water - (and I'm someone who's keen to improve) just doubtful how it would pan out.
that's not to say a day out for players of mixed ability wouldn't be great(on the understanding that's what it is) but I think any instruction (shots or course management) should be done closer to home.

cheers

AliB

B

birdieman

Ali, thankyou, some sense at last.

Nico, why on earth would anyone drive for say three or four hours to get a group lesson from your pro when they can stay at their own club or nearby range and get a private lesson there, one to one attention.

In retort why don't you 'get a grip man' and think about the absolute nonsense you're proposing. How is a pro supposed to give a group lesson to a group consisting of players with handicaps from 0 to 28 or higher for ladies?

Let me know when you get it organised!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This was just an idea to provoke debate,which came from an earlier thread about our best days.

Remembering how I benefittted from playing with better golfers without the pressure of competition.

Having thought further though,it could work.

Whilst I totally accept that siwng fixes should be the province of the pro's!

However if it was approached as a society day with a bit of help thrown in??

A previous employer used to have our annual Golf day at the RAC. We had swing appraisals short game clinics and in the pm we played 18 with the pro playing a hole with each group and falling back to play with the one following.

What if we had an assistant out there too so maybe you got 2 or 3 holes of help.

Perhaps if we approached a club and GM they could do something jointly?

Just being around better golfers always helps me and I wanted to pass something on.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A previous employer used to have our annual Golf day at the RAC. We had swing appraisals short game clinics and in the pm we played 18 with the pro playing a hole with each group and falling back to play with the one following.

A great day, but sounds like you benefitted from a lot of corporate finance/sponsorship there. Otherwise we'd be talking big money?

AliB

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Birdie, please take this as it is meant because context is difficult when writing.

Can you not read? I was proposing help for higher handicappers not cat 1 or "0".

Not trying to set up a "Boot Camp" or "Hot House" just a relaxed day where the fortunate can pass on a bit to those starting out or trying to move forward.

Why the fixation on travelling 3/4 hours where the heck do you live!

I can be back in Pembs by then and trust me I would not advocate anyone travelling that far to get help from me.

I live in Surrey and group lessons are a regular thing here is it unusual elsewhere?

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's true, as Nico says, that playing with a better player can help bring out the best in you. However, I'd have to go with Birdieman and say that even low handicappers should think twice about dishing out advice to the weaker players. It can prove embarrassing! :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to be honest and say if I was going to go to a GM golf day, particularly one involving my fellow forum members, I'd be more interested in actually being competitive and trying to win whatever prize was on offer than going there for my swing to be analysed.

I have been having regular lessons since June last year and my progress has been clearly recorded both on here and via the online blogs. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of going somewhere to be taught by a pro (irrespective of how good they were) who didn't know my swing and I didn't know his techniques.

The chance to play a single hole with the pro (or two with a less experienced assistant) is hardly a selling point. I happen to think that despite my handicap, course management is one of my stronger parts. It might be argued that my strategy at times is probably too conservative and that I might have better results if I were more attacking. That may be true but that is something I will work on with the confines of my own course.

If anyone wants to organise a GM day out (ideally with some magazine backing) then they would get my full support even if I couldn't make it. I have to say that I still think a series of regional events at the initial stages (perhaps with a national final backed by GM) would reduce travelling and give a sense of local rivalry and a longer term goal (i.e. national forum champion) to focus on

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Driving for 3 hours for reps, ex reps is not an issue. Only those that don't travel beyond their own backwoods would think that. None meant (GM forum back on form again then!!).

I think that it would be a great day out, a chance to meet up with the anomymous people on here, put a name to a face, and discover just how much keyboard bravado people have. (I'd better not go then!!)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer,trust me anyone who visits here knows all about your game(mine too).

I will say the same to you though,cant you read?

Even off 14 could you not help someone off 28?

I had in my head this lovely relaxed day of like minded people getting together to share our knowledge with a bit of added technique honing from qualified pro's.

Lets be honest,it has not bitten too many so perhaps it should just drift off.

B

birdieman

I've been to 2 GM forum events this year so am not averse to driving or going beyond my own backwoods Hapless.
I think Homer is correct that a regional meet where players just play a straightforward match is all that will work and many forumers will not want lessons from anyone but their own pro.
As far as I am aware us Scottish forumers are the only ones who have managed to organise any kind of meet so far that didn't involve playing GM staff. There has been endless talk of forum meets on this forum with very little actually coming off.
Nico, sorry to sound so negative but why not just try and have an area match, we just did a stableford with a sweep on scores and 2's at our Blairgowrie day out - worked well.