GM/AG Iron Fitting Review

Visit site
After a very annoying Monday afternoon. A mystery tour courtesy of public transport and a night in an uncomfortable bed. It was off to Clydebank Tuesday morning.

I was met by James when I arrived and he explained what was going to happen. John was already under way on his fitting and Jim was in the warm up bay.
So time to get the shoes on.. After about 15 minutes, John was in the final parts of his fitting lie testing grip etc. Paper work done and Jim was called over. And it time for a warm up.
Mmm, A Ping S56. Now I was feeling a little nervous *please please have a swing* A few warm up swings and hit... yay it was there. And I was liking the Ping... again. I hit about 20 balls then went and watched Jim (hitting some very consistent shots. You must have a dispersion of about 6 feet!). Stuart, Lucky bugger No. 4 had arrived mean while after a last minute call to fill someone’s boots who couldn’t make it.
Next up me... Liam got me to fill in some details on the fitting form including what irons I would like to try. So i put down the Pings and also the Titleist AP2’s. Liam asked if there was anything else and I said I wouldn’t mind trying Mizuno offerings too. He took me into the Mizuno fitting cart and showed me the new JPX heads. I thought those were pretty similar to my MX300’s so he handed me the mp53 and 63’s. These were much more what i was looking for. The 63’s had a pretty narrow topline so didn’t know how I’d get on with them. But Liam said it was no problem to hit both.
I started off with the Ap2 6 iron and it was quite a nice club to hit. But I don’t think I hit it that well. In hindsight I should have tried it again after becoming accustomed to hitting off the sensor panel. The black panel and white alignment lines plus the cut outs for the sensors, made it quite ‘alien’ to my easily confused noggin.

I hit the Ping S56 7 iron next, and to cut a long story short, for such a players club, it really is easy to hit. Nice penetrating but high flight, a small draw every time. Also even though cast, you couldn’t really tell between it and the AP2’s. – SHORTLISTED!

MP 53 next up. For whatever reason, I just couldn’t hit it and couldn’t get comfortable with it either.
After a quick bit Wurzel Gummidgery by Liam I had the 63 in my mitts. Wow... It looked even smaller when it was down on the ground, but still looked really good. After a few balls hit I knew it was between these and the Pings. Felt amazing, good ball flight, good dispersion (especially for me) and like the Pings relatively easy to hit for the type of club they are.(yes i did hit a couple of fat and slappy ones, but i’d do that with any iron in my hand at the moment as i’m working on my swing. A bit more work and tidying up and it should be about there... hopefully.)

Anyway, Liam got me to keep alternating between the two and see what i thought. After hitting around another 10-15 balls with each, it was decision time... A cigarette paper between them..
Ok i think, deciding question. ‘Liam, what’s the more forgiving of the two?’... ‘Oh, the S56’ Bugger I thought.. Any other answer and it’s definitely the Mizuno’s. I found the Mizuno to have a bit better dispersion overall and the sound/feel can’t be beaten. Then there’s the added forgiveness of the Pings??? After a bit humming and hawing between the two, I thought if i can hit the MP63 6 iron better than 7 iron in the ping (in terms of dispersion), surely in the same scenario, a 7 in the mizzies should bring the dispersion down a bit more? SO decision made – the Mizuno’s please!

After, Liam took my measurements for lie, length and grip size. Advised the S300 shaft as i was probably over-powering the NS Pro shafts i have in my MX300’s. Chose the type of grip to put on them, and filled in my contact details to finish the fitting form.

After a few questions regarding the fitting from James, it was time to get my shoes changed and go for a coffee. I watched Stuart hit a few shots on the way out and his smooth swing made me think i must be swishing it about like Zorro!!
It was good to meet up with some members of the forum. I think i’ll need to enter into the Centenary comp at Dalmahoy and meet up.
Thanks again to GM/AG, James, Liam and the guys that attended. It was a memorable day.
Oh yes and my bloody car started first time and has caused no trouble since! :D

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great write up. Glad you weren't lured over to the dark side. Ping "forgiveness" versus Mizuno "feel". A temptation great that is. You chose well my young padewan. May the forged be with you.

A

Alex1975

Good write up fella. Aztecs and Alex will be on shortly to purr over your selection ;) enjoy your new clubs!

Sorry, I am late on this... Been off the forums for two weeks. Welcome to club Mizzy, the 63s are a stunning club and I will bet you will love them.

Where the hell was Astech?????!!!!