Glove or no glove

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to not wear a glove but definitely feel a benefit to using one especially in warmer or wet condition. In ordinary weather I don't wear one for small chip shots and to putt. If you play/practice a lot, it's definitely an expensive business keeping good leather gloves in stock. I now only wear good ones to play and the old dirty one gets used for practice until the one in play gets retired I get a good bit more wear out them by doing this

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
A single glove for normal golf and a pair of rain grip when it rains. I leave the glove on for every shot, including putting. On at the start, off at the end.
Glove gets really dirty quicker if left on for pushing trolley and all the other things that are done, can't imagine going for a pee with a glove on

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having played for about 30 years without a glove & about 5 with one I think I'm more qualified than some to comment. As I've got older I have found it more difficult to grip firmly enough with the left hand. The leather in contact with the grip really helps, and I can grip firmly without gripping tightly. I don't feel comfortable putting with the glove on. It may not make any difference but I feel more confident & that matters a lot.

Why don't you wear two then and get the full benefit?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't get my head around why people take a glove off to chip and putt......
Mines goes on before I get to the first tee and comes off after the 18th green.....
Habit. I'm sure I read something years ago recommending it to improve feel.
Totally agree. I did it from the beginning (I assumed it was the thing to do) and it has become a habit. I do feel uncomfortable using it to putt and chip but I firmly recognise it makes no difference to how I play and execute a shot
Do you the glove as a mental 'trigger'?
I've tried it before and had some success

(I.e glove on = time to focus)

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Why don't you wear two then and get the full benefit?
I think it was Sam Snead or Ben Hogan who said that the right hand just goes for a ride on the club until just before impact. It's the left hand which does the gripping. In fact, the I think the right hand has to move a bit at the top & on the downswing, which a right hand glove would inhibit.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it was Sam Snead or Ben Hogan who said that the right hand just goes for a ride on the club until just before impact. It's the left hand which does the gripping. In fact, the I think the right hand has to move a bit at the top & on the downswing, which a right hand glove would inhibit.
Hogan never wore a glove, though i believe this to be because when he was poor he couldnt justify the cost as he would wear one out in a day as he'd hit balls for 8 hours. If you don't wear one you should use cord grips as these tend to soak up moisture in the cotton so easier to use for sweaty hands or wet grips

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always wear on for long shots and pitches. I've tried playing without but the stability of my grip is really poor without. Never tried cord grips tho.

In the summer I try to take it off between every shot to prevent a golfers tan. Easier to do if there's a long walk from tee to 2nd shot and then the green - a bit harder when there's a short walk from 1st shot to 2nd. to 3rd. to 4th. to 5th ... :-(

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always wear on for long shots and pitches. I've tried playing without but the stability of my grip is really poor without. Never tried cord grips tho.

In the summer I try to take it off between every shot to prevent a golfers tan. Easier to do if there's a long walk from tee to 2nd shot and then the green - a bit harder when there's a short walk from 1st shot to 2nd. to 3rd. to 4th. to 5th ... :-(

I've never really understood this.
Surely one's club would be more secure actually being gripped by the naked palm/fingers of the hand rather than being gripped in the hand with a piece of moveable material in between?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear a glove. It just feels right really. Always worn one since I started so happy to carry on with doing so really. I take it off when putting.

D

Deleted member 23344

Always wear a glove ... once forgot to take one to the range and quickly got a blister on my thumb. I also wear it all the time ... too lazy to take it off.