Glove or no glove

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to wear a glove because, well, golfers just did.
I was playing in Spain and lost my glove early in the round. Played the rest of the round without a glove.
I then played the rest of the week without a glove and then the rest of my life without a glove.
To me they are utterly pointless and they gave me absolutely no advantage what-so-ever!
I do, however, always carry a pair of MacWets for those rainy, rainy days.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried a period of a few months without a glove.

When the hot weather came I found my palms to sweaty to hold on to club so went back to wearing one.

I too am someone who puts the glove on the first tee and it stays on for all the round.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
I have a calcified tendon on the palm of my left hand, as a result I have to wear additional padding as well as the glove it's self. I just can't imagine not playing with a glove on at all.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Winter / cold weather. I don't bother. Warm weather. hands start to sweat. Glove is a must. Never on for putting though, don't know why.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never worn one in dry conditions or felt the need to. I have a pair of Macwets which are essential for use in the rain.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I can't get my head around why people take a glove off to chip and putt......
Mines goes on before I get to the first tee and comes off after the 18th green.....

I used to leave it on the whole round (for years) until a couple of months back and now it's off for putts etc
Just believing I have more feel without it

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can't get my head around why people take a glove off to chip and putt......
Mines goes on before I get to the first tee and comes off after the 18th green.....
Because chipping & putting are "feel" shots where you're unlikely to need the extra grip that a glove gives you. There is a good reason why the pros do it, you know. And chipping & putting are the two areas where we, in theory, could be as good as the pros & imitating them does no harm.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
To lazy to take it off for chipping and putting. Once it goes on at the first tee it’s not taken off until the round is finished.
I get sweaty hands quite easily, I could never play without one. I’m a bit lazy, I just leave it on for putting as well.
In hot weather my hand gets very sweaty inside the glove. I'll often take it off between shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Because chipping & putting are "feel" shots where you're unlikely to need the extra grip that a glove gives you. There is a good reason why the pros do it, you know. And chipping & putting are the two areas where we, in theory, could be as good as the pros & imitating them does no harm.
I get this but can a mid-handicapper really get more "feel" without a glove. Isn't it more to do with a good technique and distance control/club selection and a lot of practice

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I get this but can a mid-handicapper really get more "feel" without a glove. Isn't it more to do with a good technique and distance control/club selection and a lot of practice

Genuinely I don't think glove on/off makes a blind bit of difference except in the head.
Even chipping and putting - I don't think we can discern a difference that would make a difference to how we play a shot.
And in my opinion, copying almost anything a Tour Pro does is not going to make anyone a better player.
They can feel a difference, they can hit the ball 23 yards instead of 25.
Glove on/Glove off - it's your preference but don't think it's making a real difference to how you play the game.
It might make a difference in your head.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Genuinely I don't think glove on/off makes a blind bit of difference except in the head.
Even chipping and putting - I don't think we can discern a difference that would make a difference to how we play a shot.
And in my opinion, copying almost anything a Tour Pro does is not going to make anyone a better player.
Glove on/Glove off - it's your preference but don't think it's making a real difference to how you play the game.
Totally agree. I did it from the beginning (I assumed it was the thing to do) and it has become a habit. I do feel uncomfortable using it to putt and chip but I firmly recognise it makes no difference to how I play and execute a shot

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Having played for about 30 years without a glove & about 5 with one I think I'm more qualified than some to comment. As I've got older I have found it more difficult to grip firmly enough with the left hand. The leather in contact with the grip really helps, and I can grip firmly without gripping tightly. I don't feel comfortable putting with the glove on. It may not make any difference but I feel more confident & that matters a lot.