Glastonbury 2023

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blondie not great at all, sound was poor, could hardly hear DH. EJ set was pretty darned good. That we know every song he did, and know most if not all the words of many of them, says something about what he has created over the last 50+ yrs.

Agree although kept thinking it was a good job I knew the words as he seems to slur them all together with very strange pronunciation/accents!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Blondie not great at all, sound was poor, could hardly hear DH. EJ set was pretty darned good. That we know every song he did, and know most if not all the words of many of them, says something about what he has created over the last 50+ yrs.
I read that the sound problem throughout the event was a technical problem with the BBC.
Explains a lot

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't watched any of the coverage, no interest, but there was a clip on the news last night with a scattering of women on shoulders of people, obviously blocking the view of others. What is the etiquette there? Are they fair game as targets, I'm thinking coconut shy type thing, or do people just accept that as part of a festival?
Watched last night with a friend who went to Glastonbury every year until couple of years back - so she has been dozens of times. I asked same questions about flags. She says no one minds - the crowd is so huge it’s just being there and the atmosphere, and you can hear the music and watch the screens. It’s only a very small number of the small proportion towards the front who might be wanting a ‘view’ of the artist on stage, and get their view blocked. But again even towards the front it’s not really about the view.

But I’ll ask her about folk on shoulders this morning. I expect similar answer.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I once queued for 12 hours to get a spot at the front in a Bruce concert. To be honest it was really disappointing as the gap between the barriers and the stage is quite large and then you have a row of security folk. Their main role was to stop filming (pre when everyone had their phones) so they kept leaping into action to stop that. Dampened the atmosphere. I did get one of Bruce's plectrums at the end though.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought the sound for Elton was pretty good although the guest mic seemed very quiet - thought that might be deliberate though :oops:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Watched last night with a friend who went to Glastonbury every year until couple of years back - so she has been dozens of times. I asked same questions about flags. She says no one minds - the crowd is so huge it’s just being there and the atmosphere, and you can hear the music and watch the screens. It’s only a very small number of the small proportion towards the front who might be wanting a ‘view’ of the artist on stage, and get their view blocked. But again even towards the front it’s not really about the view.

But I’ll ask her about folk on shoulders this morning. I expect similar answer.
The answer is that nobody in a crowd of 250,000 stoned folks cares. If you go down the front you know what to expect - it’s about being there and the atmosphere. Plus, she says, go down there towards the front and as far as she is concerned you can do whatever you want as you won’t be able to go for a pee or get a drink - so just enjoy yourself - nobody will care.

And I also asked, how many times….22…so she knows well of what she talks. If she hadn‘t been visiting us this weekend she wouldn’t have watched as she misses it so…but she was pleased she watched EJ as she really enjoyed it and enjoyed watching the crowd and pointing out to us ‘what was what’ and what we were seeing on aerial shots of the festival.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Like the way Reginald Dwight disguised his mime by having the microphone right in front of his mouth.

After Glastonbury and the Eurovision Song Contest we can now look forward to proper music.
BBC Proms.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like the way Reginald Dwight disguised his mime by having the microphone right in front of his mouth.

After Glastonbury and the Eurovision Song Contest we can now look forward to proper music.
BBC Proms.

Wow, there’s been some classic tin foil hat posts on the forum over the years but this tops the lot 🤣🤣🤣

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
First night of the Proms features music by Sibelius and Benjamin Britten.
Super chill-out after Glastonbury.
Nobody will be miming.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was watching an interview with guy who had got to the front of the stage at 4am specially to watch Elton.

He looked to be in his 50s/60s. Had me thinking "how many plastic bags has he got down inside the legs of his trousers?"

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was watching an interview with guy who had got to the front of the stage at 4am specially to watch Elton.

He looked to be in his 50s/60s. Had me thinking "how many plastic bags has he got down inside the legs of his trousers?"
Funnily enough, we had this chat at work today. The consensus was, based on no experience whatsoever, that people by day 3 will have gone feral. Blokes would be using screw top bottles and then just dropping them, and the ladies would be wearing Tena pants and going where they stood. It seemed the logical solution 😆.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A friend's grand daughter had a spot on the left stage at Glastonbury, singing with only a guitar backing, she's called Rianne Downey.
Well worth a watch on YouTube, singing about her hometown, Bellshill .
If you let the Youtube videos run on after her spot ( not Glastonbury ), there's some lots fantastic acts singing.

Last edited: