Glasgow/East Dunbartonshire Pro?

Visit site
Looking a bit of advice from some of the Glasgow/West of Scotland members.

I hadn’t hit a ball in four years after having twins in 2016 and quit as didn’t have time to practice and was partially frustrated trying to break 100. Been back at the range couple of times a week in last few weeks.

Fancy getting back in and want to start almost from scratch, building swing from basics and wondered if anybody had any ideas on decent pro who’d be suited to what I’m looking for. My nearest range is Great Western Golf but was keen to get other thoughts or recommendations. All suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi ,

I had lessons at Great Western Golf in 2013 into 2014. The guy I saw was Andy Hutton. He is still there according to their website.

I would recommend him and although I live on the other side of Glasgow now, I would actually consider going back to him this winter if I end up getting lessons.

At the time I was a 24 handicap and just couldn't get a score in. I could hit decent drives and acceptable irons and was embarrassed at being a 24 handicap and then knocking off a load of pars and bogeys in matchplay, losing one or two balls etc.

He focussed very much on getting me to draw the ball. I get the impression this is his basic strategy as there wasn't really a discussion about whether I wanted to be a drawer or a fader. He was very bullish when I asked him after the 2nd or 3rd lesson where this was going... but a few weeks later I was hitting the ball as well as ever and that year I came down from 24 to 17. I think 3 shots in medals and 3.5 shots following handicap review (due to matchplay results)

I had a 1 hour 'assessment' lesson and he was fairly confident he could find a decent game for me and I then booked a course of 6 lessons. I think I did 3 on full swing, 1 on putting, 1 on chipping and 1 on wedges.

I've had quite a few lessons at my place in the past year with our pro Stewart (who has now moved on) and I would say although he is really good at short game stuff as well as shot selection & strategy, I've never got the impression he was the swing coach that Andy was / is.

Visit site
Hi ,

I had lessons at Great Western Golf in 2013 into 2014. The guy I saw was Andy Hutton. He is still there according to their website.

I would recommend him and although I live on the other side of Glasgow now, I would actually consider going back to him this winter if I end up getting lessons.

At the time I was a 24 handicap and just couldn't get a score in. I could hit decent drives and acceptable irons and was embarrassed at being a 24 handicap and then knocking off a load of pars and bogeys in matchplay, losing one or two balls etc.

He focussed very much on getting me to draw the ball. I get the impression this is his basic strategy as there wasn't really a discussion about whether I wanted to be a drawer or a fader. He was very bullish when I asked him after the 2nd or 3rd lesson where this was going... but a few weeks later I was hitting the ball as well as ever and that year I came down from 24 to 17. I think 3 shots in medals and 3.5 shots following handicap review (due to matchplay results)

I had a 1 hour 'assessment' lesson and he was fairly confident he could find a decent game for me and I then booked a course of 6 lessons. I think I did 3 on full swing, 1 on putting, 1 on chipping and 1 on wedges.

I've had quite a few lessons at my place in the past year with our pro Stewart (who has now moved on) and I would say although he is really good at short game stuff as well as shot selection & strategy, I've never got the impression he was the swing coach that Andy was / is.

That’s great feedback and it would be ideal as only 10 mins from my house too.

www.hiltonpark.net
I've used Bob Collinson who used to teach at Bearsden driving range and I think now uses Windyhill. I really liked him, he didn't try to change too much too quickly and has a good way about.
Stuart Smith is the Pro at Hilton Park, my club, he used to teach at GWG as well. Never had a lesson from him but I've heard good things.