Getting onto the Next Level

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Consistently going round in mid-high 70s, low 80. And on these days I've not played great, but I've just kept it in play. And got up and down often, due to some sloppy iron play.

I feel if I could hit 4 greens more, than my usual 3 or 4, I could really get shoot low 70s.

It's always the same - if I'm driving well, my irons are poor and if my irons are good, my short game is poor.

All I need to do is hit more greens I think.

Just wondering what the next steps are to get from my level, [+3-+7 over on a alright day]{+10 over ish on an average day.} to down lower, and progressively get my handicap to scratch by the time I'm 18 years old. ( still have just under 4 years till that!! And then try get down even further, then turn pro.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of pressure on the short game. With 3 or 4 par threes around, depending on length I would expect to hit a few of these in reg. Playing par 5s in reg three shots should also bump up that figure plus the odd short par 4.

Three or four in reg a round sounds a bit too low to consistently hit low 70s.

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of pressure on the short game. With 3 or 4 par threes around, depending on length I would expect to hit a few of these in reg. Playing par 5s in reg three shots should also bump up that figure plus the odd short par 4.

Three or four in reg a round sounds a bit too low to consistently hit low 70s.

Yeah, I scramble well, but as you said, if I could just hit, say maybe, 7 or 8 GIRs, it would give me more birdie chances and as you say, take the pressure of the short game.

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
What's your bad shot and do you know what causes it and how to fix it?

Hook - I know how to fix it, but overcompensate and slice it! I struggle to find a 'happy medium'. And when I'm hitting fairways and making it easy to hit the greens, I tend to mess it up!

Going on holiday for a couple of weeks. Hopefully can start to make some more progress this season after a break, cause I've been playing to many competition rounds!

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
I try to aim as straight as possible... If I am hitting a big slice I'll try and aim down the right, and try to draw it 'straight'

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of people use "game golf" , I use "hole 19" . It'll keep all your stats together , fairways / greens / putts / scrambling etc . I just spend 10 minutes after each round filling it in . It then gives me a breakdown of generally where to improve . From there for me it's just practice on them areas , to me if I'm struggling with my irons, then I'll just head up the range at some point today with 100 balls and a 6 iron and try and get some confidence back.