Getting off the tee.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Impossible to diagnose here (fade / slice yes, but is it a push or a pull), but if I was a betting man I think what has happened is after the first lesson you already had a lot of good stuff in there and simple changes garnered good results; the subsequent lessons have provided additional info that has either tweaked something in your basic set up or has meant you're forgetting to do something in your basic set-up. You could try to 'reverse engineer' the lessons and layer by layer or go through the basic set-up (stance, grip, posture, alignment). My good drives eventually give way to pull hooks and after struggling for longer than I should, it's fixed by something very basic - last time it was stopping turning my body through (searching for more power ironically meant I was trying to do it with my arms); before that coming back inside too much; previously been grip, shoulder alignment etc. It's a strange game that even when doing something well we tend to want to tweak that to get even better, often, at least to me, our detriment.
When I played last week I was hitting steady drives and scoring. 18 points after 8 holes. The next drive full of beans pulled left. That seems to occur once a round. ? Over the top square face. ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If everything up to the driver works as it should then time for a new driver:LOL:. Or at least a new shaft if you have one that changes easily.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think most of your problems stem from the fact that you keep leaving the "H" off of "Have" ....
It comes across as a little uncouth and will transgress into vile swing thoughts, obesity and beard growth.
Pack it up, there's a good chap

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, for ages had a top that went 20 yards if I was lucky. Went for lessons and the first lesson sorted the top but came away with a big unplayable slice (Ask @chrisd!) Second lesson got it to a playable fade - problem was it's puffy about 230-240 yards, the pro said that's playable then I hit my 3wood off the deck and striped it 238 carry - I didn't want a club doing the same as my 3 wood. He agreed.

I feel I'm a work in progress and have another lesson booked. I think that lessons need to be like a course of anitbiotics to work properly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I feel your pain, for ages had a top that went 20 yards if I was lucky. Went for lessons and the first lesson sorted the top but came away with a big unplayable slice (Ask @chrisd!) Second lesson got it to a playable fade - problem was it's puffy about 230-240 yards, the pro said that's playable then I hit my 3wood off the deck and striped it 238 carry - I didn't want a club doing the same as my 3 wood. He agreed.

I feel I'm a work in progress and have another lesson booked. I think that lessons need to be like a course of anitbiotics to work properly.

I agree 100% . I played today and everything was crap, (or at least it seemed so). 2 holes from home and suddenly I felt the swing that I had before the last lockdown, I just hope I can remember it on Sunday !

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think most of your problems stem from the fact that you keep leaving the "H" off of "Have" ....
It comes across as a little uncouth and will transgress into vile swing thoughts, obesity and beard growth.
Pack it up, there's a good chap
Don't forget the "I " in front of Have. ?
Ave missed that out as well ??

Boomy

Visit site
The pro I have lessons with does the complicated stuff whilst I’m there with him, drilling it through and then he sends me away with 1 or a maximum of 2 things to work on/practice - I note these down to make sure I fully understand them, I then head back to the range that week (once or twice generally) to practice what I need to. Lay the sticks out to keep alignment correct and take my time doing the homework - not just smashing 50 balls down the range in 25 minutes. The only way to gain any benefit from lessons is 1. Make sure the coach knows exactly what you hope to achieve 2. Make sure it’s kept manageable for you to understand and 3. Practice whatever you’re asked to in between lessons. You need to be hitting balls for actual practice so you can drill on the range, and play on the course.

Visit site
My suggestion, with absolutely nothing to back it up, is that you have negative angle of attack, and are hitting "down" on the ball with your driver. If you only have trouble with a driver, and no other club, that would make sense... As with every other club in the bag, a negative angle of attack would be about right including fairway woods.

A friend of mine had issues with his driver and slices. I encouraged him to feel like he was "hitting up" on the ball, and he started hitting it well.

I would try on the range, either putting the ball almost outside your left/front foot (forces you to hit up on it) to get the feeling.

*not a pro, might be talking nonsense.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My suggestion, with absolutely nothing to back it up, is that you have negative angle of attack, and are hitting "down" on the ball with your driver. If you only have trouble with a driver, and no other club, that would make sense... As with every other club in the bag, a negative angle of attack would be about right including fairway woods.

A friend of mine had issues with his driver and slices. I encouraged him to feel like he was "hitting up" on the ball, and he started hitting it well.

I would try on the range, either putting the ball almost outside your left/front foot (forces you to hit up on it) to get the feeling.

*not a pro, might be talking nonsense.
That’s me in a nutshell.
But unfortunately it’s just not that easy.
It messes with your swing and your head.

Raziren

Visit site
My bad drive is a straight push (sometimes a small to mid slice) which my coach blamed on the shoulders turning too soon at the start of the downswing.
During my last lesson we worked on the feeling of trying to keep the shoulders in their turned position as the downswing starts for as long as you can. It feels like you're trying to hold it for ages in your mind, in reality it's a fraction of a second & the momentum will make the shoulders turn naturally.
When i do this well it eliminates the right side. When i'm lazy and 'forget' to include this new swing and it goes right, I now know why.
It might help, it may not, but you might want to try it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lessons is the way old boy and you tend to find it's more than just a fix for one club, finding out how you swing through the bag is the way forward.