getting ahead of the ball.............

sean1098

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My short irons are grand , but my driving is really starting to bug me.
Im hitting low shots to the left, hooks etc.

My playing partners say im starting with my shoulders turning and not droping.

have tried everything i can think of.......droping club/droping right shoulder/keeping head behind the ball etc.

any tips would be great.

thanks,

Sean.

sean1098

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had some lessons, still cant get it right, or consistent.

will keep trying, have been told it takes years to get consistent?

Thanks,

sean.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I was lucky enough to win a comp from teh magazine a couple of months ago.

On the clinic with the pro, he said on average it take 10000 swings to ingrain a change.

For the average person that goes to the range and hits a hundred balls, Then plays to about 18+ once a week, you're looking at 52 weeks for a change to become ingrained.

That along with tiger taking 2 yeas and Sir Nick taking 3 years to sort a swing doesnt help but mores it more acceptable.

faunty

Hacker
Visit site
I had a similar problem last year but a 30 minute lesson got it fixed.

If you're driving your left hip towards the target and getting ahead of the ball a good swing thought is to imagine you have a clubhead attached to your right hip and try to make contact with this before the clubhead in your hands.

This will have 3 effects;

1 Encourage you to concentrate on rotating your lower body into the ball rather than sliding ahead of it.

2 Promote correct sequencing of the downswing, preventing your upper body from over-powering your lower body.

3 Promote correct weight transfer sequence

If you slow your swing down until you get this sequence embedded you should see your drives straightening.

I hope this helps

faunty

Hacker
Visit site
One other tip I picked up was to practice hitting drives with the logo of the ball set-up next to the clubface and focus on that......if you start to slide you will lose sight of the logo