General Play rounds

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Entered my first general play round today I assume this score doesn’t have the 95% calculation taken into account, as I think that’s just for competitions.

Or am I wrong?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 95% only applies to the results in competitions. It is still 100% for handicap purposes even in a competition.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 95% only applies to the results in competitions. It is still 100% for handicap purposes even in a competition.

Oh thanks I must have misread 2blues post, I didn’t realize it only applied for competitions and not handicap purposes ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh thanks I must have misread 2blues post, I didn’t realize it only applied for competitions and not handicap purposes ?

2blues post was right I just expanded on it.

It is important to remember if you are playing in a Stableford comp to only pick up on holes where you would not get any points based upon 100% and not 95%.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oh bugger I had a net 69 today maybe won’t get a cut then.

Thanks for the reply.
If that score is better than your 8th best score and your 20th-ago score was not in your best 8, you will get a cut.
The fact that your score was a nett 69 is not necessarily relevant to your handicap going up or down.
If you have 8 adjusted gross scores in your last 19 better than your recent score then you won't get a cut.

When trying to predict what will happen to your handicap you need to look at the score that is dropping off your record and the highest of your best 8 and the effect your score has.

All scores entered for handicap adjustment , whether they are competition rounds or general play rounds, take no account of the 95% for individual strokeplay competitive play.
Your adjusted gross score, nett double bogey limit, is always according to your Course Handicap (100%) with regards to the handicap adjustment process.

For each score entered you will have a "differential". This is, (adjusted gross score - course rating) x (113/slope rating). Rounded to one decimal place.
The average of the best 8 from last 20 of these differentials is your handicap index.
What your nett score was for 18 holes on any of these occasions is not taken into account in these calculations.
However, nett double bogey limit per hole is relevant to your course handicap on the day.

Without setting out to do so, I seem to have memorised, by observation, what scores produce what differentials at my course. CR 70.8 and SR 132.
72 is 1.0
73 is 1.9
74 is 2.7
etc
I find these differentials to be more relevant than nett score or stableford points on the day when considering what will happen to my handicap.

"What differential did you achieve today?" should become a common reasonable question to ask in the near future.

(I have ignored such things as PCC and soft and hard caps in my already over-long waffle)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If that score is better than your 8th best score and your 20th-ago score was not in your best 8, you will get a cut.
The fact that your score was a nett 69 is not necessarily relevant to your handicap going up or down.
If you have 8 adjusted gross scores in your last 19 better than your recent score then you won't get a cut.

When trying to predict what will happen to your handicap you need to look at the score that is dropping off your record and the highest of your best 8 and the effect your score has.

All scores entered for handicap adjustment , whether they are competition rounds or general play rounds, take no account of the 95% for individual strokeplay competitive play.
Your adjusted gross score, nett double bogey limit, is always according to your Course Handicap (100%) with regards to the handicap adjustment process.

For each score entered you will have a "differential". This is, (adjusted gross score - course rating) x (113/slope rating). Rounded to one decimal place.
The average of the best 8 from last 20 of these differentials is your handicap index.
What your nett score was for 18 holes on any of these occasions is not taken into account in these calculations.
However, nett double bogey limit per hole is relevant to your course handicap on the day.

Without setting out to do so, I seem to have memorised, by observation, what scores produce what differentials at my course. CR 70.8 and SR 132.
72 is 1.0
73 is 1.9
74 is 2.7
etc
I find these differentials to be more relevant than nett score or stableford points on the day when considering what will happen to my handicap.

"What differential did you achieve today?" should become a common reasonable question to ask in the near future.

(I have ignored such things as PCC and soft and hard caps in my already over-long waffle)

My 8th best score is also my 20th score, it doesn’t show the adjusted gross could that be because it was a stableford competition? In fact 6 of the last 23 scores have no adjusted gross,The score differential is 14.4.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

72 is 1.0
73 is 1.9
74 is 2.7
etc

At my place (SR 125) the differential for any score is found by simply taking the number I was over CR and subtracting one tenth (I ignore PCC Corrections). So off whites with CR of 72, a 76 will produce a diff of 3.6; 87 - 13.5 etc.

Looking at it the other way if I want to replace a counting diff like for like, I add one tenth to the diff and round down. So to replace a 10.3, I must shoot 11 (11.33) over hence score no worse than an 83.

So really not at all difficult for me to work out impact of any round before or after i play. And as pointed out, concerns over apparent complications of hcap allowance are in fact a red herring…they are irrelevant to HI calcs.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My 8th best score is also my 20th score, it doesn’t show the adjusted gross could that be because it was a stableford competition? In fact 6 of the last 23 scores have no adjusted gross,The score differential is 14.4.
Handicap adjustment takes no account of the format of the competition. Only your gross score (adjusted for nett double bogey limit per hole) is used to calculate your differential.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my place (SR 125) the differential for any score is found by simply taking the number I was over CR and subtracting one tenth (I ignore PCC Corrections). So off whites with CR of 72, a 76 will produce a diff of 3.6; 87 - 13.5 etc.

Looking at it the other way if I want to replace a counting diff like for like, I add one tenth to the diff and round down. So to replace a 10.3, I must shoot 11 (11.33) over hence score no worse than an 83.

So really not at all difficult for me to work out impact of any round before or after i play. And as pointed out, concerns over apparent complications of hcap allowance are in fact a red herring…they are irrelevant to HI calcs.

Your 13.5 calculation is incorrect, it's 13.56 which would count as 13.6. So your 1/10th approximation may work for you with your index and the scores you regularly score but it doesn't take long to go wrong.

As the correct calculation is very simple, I would always recommend to anyone who likes to work it out for themselves to do it properly.