Garmin S1 issue - broken strap

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A friend of mine has a Garmin S1 on which he has broken the strap, which as it is integral renders the whole thing useless. Does anyone know if Garmin can or will repair these? Don't know how old it is but probably not under warranty. Apologies if it has been asked before but I couldn't find it on a search, if it has & one of the more IT proficient members could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, thanks.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have seen a fair few comments about broken straps, haven't seen anybody finding replacements though. I did read that Garmin will repair them, but will ask ~£60 for the privilege of doing so.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Have seen a fair few comments about broken straps, haven't seen anybody finding replacements though. I did read that Garmin will repair them, but will ask ~£60 for the privilege of doing so.

Thanks, now found a similar comment elsewhere on the back of yours, will give him the good news.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A friend of mine has a Garmin S1 on which he has broken the strap, which as it is integral renders the whole thing useless. Does anyone know if Garmin can or will repair these? Don't know how old it is but probably not under warranty. Apologies if it has been asked before but I couldn't find it on a search, if it has & one of the more IT proficient members could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, thanks.
You can repair the straps with Super glue up to a point. You can get an exchange refurbished watch from Garmin for about £60, which is half the price of a new one.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Crap news for the owner and no doubt the reason why the s3 has been changed in design.

On the flip there seems to be a very cheap bushnell watch in the for sale section at the moment if your mate fancies a bargain!f

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just because you can no longer wear it on your wrist hardly means the whole thing is useless. Depending on how much of the strap is not broken you can still hang it on your bag.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a woeful design fault!! Only on the S1 though. The strap really can't be replaced (amazing)

I gave them maximum Mr Angry of Reading and told them that I didn't want either a discounted S2 for near enough £100 or a recon S1 for about £60 (both offered) and they caved in replacing my S1 with a recon unit for the cost of my postage. I was pretty forthright with them it has to be said. :rolleyes:

Mates whose S1s eventually broke didn't do so well so some of our guys have tasty Garmin/Gaffer Tape hybrid straps. As has been mentioned they still work and can be hung on the bag...but that's not the point

tonycav

Visit site
Hi. I fixed mine by removing the old strap where it joins the watch and replacing it with a 1 piece nylon strap glued to the back. £10

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No need to be embarrassed Richard.:whistle:

Dave W

Visit site
My strap snapped in 2 places and I used Gorilla Glue to connect the broken pieces together and it worked perfectly. Simply dab some glue on one bit and hold the pieces together for about 30 seconds and that should do the trick.The strap has since snapped again in a different place and Gorilla Glue has again came to the rescue. Hope this helps.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It is certainly an issue on some of the earlier GPS watches. My Bushnell has an integral strap as well but I tend to wear it pretty loose on my wrist when I'm playing so it minimises the strain on the strap itself.