Garage Flooring

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone here laid those plastic interlocking tiles on their garage floor?
Were you happy with it?
Is it idiot proof?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have them round my bench where I stand, but not where the cars are. Moving the steering and using jacks do not work on a soft surface.

zQsSUJX.jpg

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Awesome garage @CliveW ! Mine looks nothing like that... (NOT posting photos of mine)

@bobmac Hardish plastic I think, not the foam anti fatigue ones.

It's mainly cosmetic, we have a manky dusty concrete floor, and it looks dreadful.
Painting it would be cheaper, but it sounds a bit technical.
At least with the tiles, I could move stuff around as I lay them

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an update, I went ahead with tiling the garage floor, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, especially as I did it all myself (apart from getting Mr Mimms to help move the exercise machine).
After reading a ton of reviews, I went for the dearer stuff Duramat and don't regret paying the extra. It's really nice stuff. Lays like a dream and the joins are nice and tight.

The instructions say you can cut it with a straight edge and a Stanley knife, but unless they've started making replacement blades out of Valerian steel I can't see that being much fun. You really need a track saw, but my old jigsaw did the job even though it was a pain in the ....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an update, I went ahead with tiling the garage floor, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it, especially as I did it all myself (apart from getting Mr Mimms to help move the exercise machine).
After reading a ton of reviews, I went for the dearer stuff Duramat and don't regret paying the extra. It's really nice stuff. Lays like a dream and the joins are nice and tight.

The instructions say you can cut it with a straight edge and a Stanley knife, but unless they've started making replacement blades out of Valerian steel I can't see that being much fun. You really need a track saw, but my old jigsaw did the job even though it was a pain in the ....

Just got to get it like CliveW now. :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have them round my bench where I stand, but not where the cars are. Moving the steering and using jacks do not work on a soft surface.

zQsSUJX.jpg
Get rid of the cars and you've got a perfect space for an indoor swing studio ?

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So I am about to reclaim my garage now I have retired, so I have 20 years of junk to get rid of. Skip coming soon, but I'm looking for flooring advice/ideas. The floor is concrete - the kind that is so dusty that it doesn't seem to matter how many times you sweep it. Once I have it empty, I want to do something to seal it to reduce the dust, but that ideally doesn't take too long.

Any ideas?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I am about to reclaim my garage now I have retired, so I have 20 years of junk to get rid of. Skip coming soon, but I'm looking for flooring advice/ideas. The floor is concrete - the kind that is so dusty that it doesn't seem to matter how many times you sweep it. Once I have it empty, I want to do something to seal it to reduce the dust, but that ideally doesn't take too long.

Any ideas?
Look at interlocking tiles, as per the OP. I sell a style of floor paint at work, not for garages necessarily, and preparation is everything with paint. If you have dust and more dust then you will only have problems. These tiles just lie on top of the existing floor, give it a bit of a sweep but don't get too stressed about it. They will be warmer underfoot, offer a little insulation, noise and heat, and are just nicer.

Paint is cheaper and probably a bit easier but if you want to do a nicer job then go interlocking tiles.

I'll throw in another option, depending on what you will be doing in your garage after the initial clearance. Underlay and carpet ?. I started doing it with off cuts from a bedroom and now have most of it done. It's a patchwork job but it's fine for us. If you don't have anything spare then go to any carpet place and get the cheapest offcut in the shop along with some basic underlay. It really won't cost you much and it makes a big difference. Whether this is an option depends on what you will be doing in the garage afterwards, if oil and grease is involved then it is a no no but if not then maybe worth thinking about.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

Any ideas?
Your floor sounds like mine, sweeping the floor just generated more dust. Plus the paint and coffee stains on the concrete.
Though it wasn't cheap, I'm really pleased I went for the Duramat stuff.
Very easy and oddly satisfying to lay.
After reading reviews, I went for the grey Durastud tiles (look like flat Lego design)
Apparently black tiles show.every footprint, and the tread plate design looks very swish but catches every bit of got going and sweeping won't help.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your floor sounds like mine, sweeping the floor just generated more dust. Plus the paint and coffee stains on the concrete.
Though it wasn't cheap, I'm really pleased I went for the Duramat stuff.
Very easy and oddly satisfying to lay.
After reading reviews, I went for the grey Durastud tiles (look like flat Lego design)
Apparently black tiles show.every footprint, and the tread plate design looks very swish but catches every bit of got going and sweeping won't help.

I went for a paint based product and am over the moon - completely reclaimed my garage and have a whole new space to play with - gamechanger!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
i m now looking for wall based storage solution.. there is a ton of stuff in the garage. the best & affordable shelves came from Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/5-tier-steel-heavy-duty-shelving-900-x-450-x-1800mm/165pv
Got 2 walls lined up with this.

now looking for something on the third wall... need to put away loads of garden tools, mower, couple of bikes, etc. any cool ideas on this.

What about something like the track wall system by Stanley (other makes may be available) https://www.stanleytools.co.uk/prod...stem/STANLEY®+Track+Wall+System+20+Piece+Kit+

Modular method of storage.