game improver/ super game improver irons?

Danny1982

Hacker
Visit site
Well... Christmas shopping is sorted so it looks like that time of year where i buy myself a christmas pressie :)

Just started playing over the summer with the intention of it just been a gap filler while the football season started again. But im bitten and nw have to juggle golf and the albion on a saturday now :)

Playing with an old-ish Hippo starter set which was kindly given to me by a friend. Im getting better and they arent in the best nick so i thought i'dstat renewing some kit.

Ive heard the terms Game Improver and Super Game Improver used to categorise Iron sets but dont realy know which brands/models fit into the categoies. The was a great pull out in one of the magazines recently but i cant sem to find it.

I dont have a handicap yet but if i did im pretty sure you'd need Nasa to calculate it :D

So recommendations please... and yes i intend to make a list and then go out and try them first :D

regards, Danny

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess it depends on your budget. A top name like Callaway X22 or TM Burners will set you back around £500-550 (maybe less if you shop around and no I haven't done any research so these are ball park figures) but there are many other makes at a cheaper price which won't be inferior in quality.

I'm not sure what the difference between game improver and super game improver is. GI basically means the clubs will have more of an offset and a big cavity back to help you get it in the air and be more forgiving on mis-hits.

As an alternative why not look for a cheaper 2nd hand set to upgrade your current clubs and use the money saved on some lessons to help you improve

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say get a nice set of GI irons for a mid h'cap player.
Can't go wrong with any make as long as they are cavity-backed and designed for a medium standard player.
Ask when you try to compare a super GI with a regular GI, if you prefer the supers go with them but be prepared to consider changing if you get too good. Maybe don't go too crazy with the money, unless you are sure you could use them as/when you get better.
I never had SGI irons and managed to get by even if the dark days of getting from 24 h'cap to something better!!

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I've never had sgi and really don't recommend them.

I started out with a set o mizuno widec's and now use the fantastic (old, model but I don't care) macgregor m685 forged irons.

I would suggest GI as it does set you a goal to play at (I find that the most people that have SGI are just too lazy to try and make a good swing).

Other than that you can't go wrong looking at ping models or at the lovely looking mizuno's.

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a budget of £200, expected to get 2nd hand, tried a few new & 2nd hand, ended up going with new Cleveland CG gold which have been great for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I started with Eric Browns ! but then i have been playing a while.Recommend second hand set of Ping G2 or G5.If you don't get on with them,you will get your money back selling them on.Mizunos are very nice and my preferred club for when you improve.