Galaxy SIII is it legal?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Removing compass from the equation would just add other issues ... How about the gyroscope etc that can be used for a spirit level, which could easily be used for measuring the break of greens?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Removing compass from the equation would just add other issues ... How about the gyroscope etc that can be used for a spirit level, which could easily be used for measuring the break of greens?

Now this is getting silly and a gyroscope would be no reason to ban a mobile from from use as a DMD. You already aren't allowed to set anything on the green to show breaks therefore that would cover setting a DMD on the putting surface. Compass has been argued many a time how much it could actually help a club golfer, I can't even see how a pro could benefit, especially since most stroke savers have North indicated. If you really wanted to know directions then a quick look on google maps with a notebook and you could have everything you need to know re: direction. Nothing in the rules against it either.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now this is getting silly and a gyroscope would be no reason to ban a mobile from from use as a DMD. You already aren't allowed to set anything on the green to show breaks therefore that would cover setting a DMD on the putting surface. Compass has been argued many a time how much it could actually help a club golfer, I can't even see how a pro could benefit, especially since most stroke savers have North indicated. If you really wanted to know directions then a quick look on google maps with a notebook and you could have everything you need to know re: direction. Nothing in the rules against it either.
.... and there is already something in the rules for compass, and yet lts of people seem intent on want to break that rule too!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now this is getting silly and a gyroscope would be no reason to ban a mobile from from use as a DMD.

news to me - it's clearly one as far as I am aware!

the actual answer to the whole issue is really very easy to implement; the question is whether the will exists.

all you need to do is remove the specific rule that makes it illegal to use a DMD that has a non-conforming feature regardless of whether that feature is used or not - job done.

use the feature - DQ
use the DMD but don't use the feature - fine

I believe the concern is not so much with people sneaking a peek at a compass reading, nor contorting about the greens with their inclinometers to get a read on an 18" putt; but for those more associated with slope/distance data being converted to playing distance - all available at the touch of a tiny button in the viewfinder or on screen. However, golf is a self policing game overall so I can't see why this represents a huge hurdle for the ruling bodies to overcome.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another arguement to add, what good is a weather app? Wind measurements are taken at a certain height, and usually in areas frww from obstructions. Wind on a golf course, particularly one with lots of hills and/or trees, will be doing lots of different things to what the weather app says. Granted a coastal links course may be less affected but how useful is it to a golfer to know that the wind is blowing NNW at 8 knots, gusting to 16? Surely a finger/a few blades of grass in the air and using your eyes will be much more helpful?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another arguement to add, what good is a weather app? Wind measurements are taken at a certain height, and usually in areas frww from obstructions. Wind on a golf course, particularly one with lots of hills and/or trees, will be doing lots of different things to what the weather app says. Granted a coastal links course may be less affected but how useful is it to a golfer to know that the wind is blowing NNW at 8 knots, gusting to 16? Surely a finger/a few blades of grass in the air and using your eyes will be much more helpful?

part of the problem of such threads relates to misinformation! as far as I am aware there is nothing wrong with a weather app and it's a red-herring in this discussion; the actual issues relate to device sensors that deliver specific live data.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The other thing is Bob that for your plan to have worked, e.g. turning off the internet so you couldn't access the weather, that would involve you disabling the GPS which would in turn mean you couldn't actually use the GPS DMD... So it would be self defeating.

Don't follow this, are you mixing up GPRS with GPS? I have sat nav and a DMD on my phone (not for comps) but do not have internet access.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
this is another stupid rule that gets on my nerves and serve no relevance to 99.9% of golfers,you can have all the gadgets known to man,why not have a app that you can type distance,wind direction and strength,latitude and longitude the type of ball and grass your playing from,then in a blink of an eye it tells you what club to take and gives you a line/the only flaw i can see is you have to hit the ball,why do people get so wound up over an electronic device but sing load and praise anything else that helps or makes the game more fun and easier to play,we all should use blades,no hybrids,wooden headed drivers and fairway clubs, the ball should be filled with feathers and everyone should wear tweeds,everything has to move with the times and golf is no exception,in all of tradition but not at the expense of turning the game into a museum of old technology.

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's probably been said already but I'm going for it anyway.

Golf is a self-policing game most of the time so why not just say crack on an use your phones as WMDs but please don't look at the weather or the compass apps. Most of us are pretty honest so I'd be very happy to walk around with a couple of blokes who were using their phones to get distances. My real problem comes up when I think they are actually just walking around texting their missus'.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm being naive but I really can't see what advantage anyone could get from knowing where North is! Most yardage books have a North arrow at least on the course map if not on the individual holes and most clubhouse roofs will have a weather vain which not only show the direction of North etc but also the direction of the wind!

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's probably been said already but I'm going for it anyway.

Golf is a self-policing game most of the time so why not just say crack on an use your phones as WMDs but please don't look at the weather or the compass apps. Most of us are pretty honest so I'd be very happy to walk around with a couple of blokes who were using their phones to get distances. My real problem comes up when I think they are actually just walking around texting their missus'.
If your phone has a compass or weather app you are not allowed to use it, even if you say i wont use those apps the device is still illegal, You cant agree to ignore the Rules of Golf or you will all be DQ'd.

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your phone has a compass or weather app you are not allowed to use it, even if you say i wont use those apps the device is still illegal, You cant agree to ignore the Rules of Golf or you will all be DQ'd.

True story. I'm not saying we should all just ignore it, I'm saying they should change the rules to the effect that we trust people instead of banning most the phones out there!