Galaxy SIII is it legal?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got one of these today and noticed that the phone has no compass. An app can be downloaded but there isn't one as standard. Also the weather is only accessible via shortcut to the internet using accuweather.com for the info. Disable the internet and you can't get any weather info.

Following the RandA flowchart it would appear that it is legal as a DMD?

Anyone able to see a reason why it doesn't meet the requirements?

Makes little difference to me as I have a Shotmiser G700 but it did get me thinking.

Maybe it's about time the RandA started a list of conforming and non conforming mobile devices to just clarify the entire situation.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was just thinking the same thing today. Battery life would be my big concern though.

Never mind that get twitter sorted out.

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
It would have apps such as Google Maps that include compass orientation.

Therefore illegal.

agree, in my view which also makes any phone with internet browser and golf apps you need a data connection for illegal, as via this you have access to a compass, weather etc.

saw something elsewhere but where does this then stand with the rules of golf app designed for easy access on the course, doesnt need a data connection but if you have this switched on while accessing the rules?

maybe it doesnt need a list of conforming devices as this would soon be out of date. a better flow chart would help or a simple statement that says 'if while using the app your phone can also provide xxxxx info its illegal'

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We've been advised by committee to save any confusion NOT to use a smart phone in comps as a DMD.
As most (inc galaxy) are illegal.

I emailed our secretary Monday and asked them to send out a general email covering this point and to put a poster up on the board too. The more that know, the more who should tell playing partners as, sure as hell, someone is going to be dq'd after winning a comp and that would be sad.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I emailed our secretary Monday and asked them to send out a general email covering this point and to put a poster up on the board too. The more that know, the more who should tell playing partners as, sure as hell, someone is going to be dq'd after winning a comp and that would be sad.

I think that was the thinking behind the advice, the flow chart the R n A have issued is on the notice board but it is the uncertainty which causes problems although I reckon 80% of smartphones are illegal for comp use.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that was the thinking behind the advice, the flow chart the R n A have issued is on the notice board but it is the uncertainty which causes problems although I reckon 80% of smartphones are illegal for comp use.

I would go closer to 100% of recent smart phones used as DMDs....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
agree, in my view which also makes any phone with internet browser and golf apps you need a data connection for illegal, as via this you have access to a compass, weather etc.

saw something elsewhere but where does this then stand with the rules of golf app designed for easy access on the course, doesnt need a data connection but if you have this switched on while accessing the rules?

maybe it doesnt need a list of conforming devices as this would soon be out of date. a better flow chart would help or a simple statement that says 'if while using the app your phone can also provide xxxxx info its illegal'

again, you continue to risk confusing smartphones used as DMDs with smartphones..........they are very different things under the rules.

there is absolutely no issue under the rules in accessing the Rules app on a smartphone

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've been advised by committee to save any confusion NOT to use a smart phone in comps as a DMD.
As most (inc galaxy) are illegal.

Same at ours. There is a hell of an argument going on though.

The way I see it, the skycaddie/laser users have been into DMDs for ages. There were passed for comp use almost immediately.

Now, quite a few members felt "disadvantaged" and didn't want to splash the cash....

and yet, the Smartphone brigade (who are not the original DMD users) are now the very people behind the campaign to get ALL/ANY units allowed.

Is there a connection here? ... :)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
And there we have it. A proper black and white, zero interpretation of why it wouldn't be legal. You win! :whoo:

The other thing is Bob that for your plan to have worked, e.g. turning off the internet so you couldn't access the weather, that would involve you disabling the GPS which would in turn mean you couldn't actually use the GPS DMD... So it would be self defeating.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And until the R&A produce a list of ALL non-conforming devices that can't be used as a DMD this confusion will continue.
As to whether they want to or are able to - that's a different matter. There must be hundreds of different phones capable of being used as a DMD - the R&A haven't the resources to to the leg-work. They'd have to update the list virtually every week, they'd have to employ someone specifically to test all new phones - from all over the World!
Just not feasible.

Easiest way?

Declare all phones to be illegal to use as a DMD in competition. A blanket ban may upset the - let's be honest - few who have phone's that do conform but that number will be tiny and within a couple of years will be virtually nil as phones are upgraded.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
surely the easiest way would be to scrap the compass rule and hence allow all mobiles to be used as DMDs. personally would still prefer a stand alone device partly for battery drain, partly because I dont want to be using my mobile in "all conditions" and partly because i dont want to have my mobile to hand all the time, but i expect this wouldnt please the DMD makers who like to charge a few hundred quid a pop

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
And until the R&A produce a list of ALL non-conforming devices that can't be used as a DMD this confusion will continue.
As to whether they want to or are able to - that's a different matter. There must be hundreds of different phones capable of being used as a DMD - the R&A haven't the resources to to the leg-work. They'd have to update the list virtually every week, they'd have to employ someone specifically to test all new phones - from all over the World!
Just not feasible.

Easiest way?

Declare all phones to be illegal to use as a DMD in competition. A blanket ban may upset the - let's be honest - few who have phone's that do conform but that number will be tiny and within a couple of years will be virtually nil as phones are upgraded.

Or go the other way and declare everything as legal. I really dont see how a compass etc is any more or less useful than the distance measurement and none of the illegal components really do anything to hit the ball to the target. It would significantly reduce golfing costs for the majority and there would be a reversal of the argument that those who spend the most on equipment have a better opportunity to get better at the game faster than the less affluent

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other thing is Bob that for your plan to have worked, e.g. turning off the internet so you couldn't access the weather, that would involve you disabling the GPS which would in turn mean you couldn't actually use the GPS DMD... So it would be self defeating.

The reason I said that is because the flowchart has a clause re: requiring Internet browser or shortcut to acquire info. As the weather app uses shortcut to internet to acquire the info then surely it gets by on that clause, or does it. What do they mean by shortcut to the internet? Really this was more a exercise in how ambiguous the entire stance of the R&A is with regard to smart phones being used as DMD's despite their clarification. Really the official stance should be either all allowed or specific DMD's only and no multifunction devices.

EDIT: well that will teach me not to stop and go do things while typing a message. You end up looking like you are just repeating everyone else lol.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It seems if you want a phone to use in comps, then the HTC One V (their current entry level model I think) is one that comes without a compass (funny what comes up when you google smartphone no compass - everyone seems to think a phone without is a bad thing lol)