G Driver Loss of distance

paulv

Hacker
Visit site
I got fitted for a new driver a few weeks ago by a reputable pro at my club (not saying where or who). I tried the M2, G, G LS tec, and a nike driver (don't know which one - hated the look).

My old driver was the TM jet speed with regular shaft and I usually carried it on launch monitor around 220 which would roll out to around 240 - 250 but my dispersion wasn't great with it and I often missed fairway left and right randomly with my bad shot being a hook. I could easily drive it over the back fence at the range which is 200 yards so the launch monitor figures sound about right.

My swing speed is around the 95 - 100 mark so I was fitted for a stiff shaft and to be fair it has tightened my dispersion right up and now more often than not hit it straight or with a little fade (usually if I hold back on it so probably not swinging it quick enough for the stiff shaft).

In the fitting my distance stayed around the same on all the drivers I tested according to his flight scope figures but with a tighter dispersion on the G driver so this is the one I picked. I have played a few round with it now though and been to the range 3 or 4 time and Im struggling to even get it out to 200 yards which is leaving me way short on the course meaning I'm having to use a fairway wood instead of a mid iron on my second shot on mid-long par 4's.

Could this be the shaft is too stiff and I'm not generating enough power to load the shaft? My ball flight is high with what looks like a lot of spin. In the fitting I was striking everyone a little low on the face causing them to spin up to around 3500 but I'm getting it high on the face again now which was what he said the reason for the higher than normal spin was but still seem to be losing distance due to high spin.

I don't know what to do, Im tempted to go back to my old driver but then I think id rather be on the fairway than risk losing my ball.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally Id go back to the pro who fitted you, explain all of the above and ask for his help. I would expect him to have another look on the flightscope and see if he thinks the issue is the Fit or a swing fault youve added. 3500 spin is too high for a driver, if its more than that its way too high and needs addressing but the pro who fitted you should definitely be your first port of call

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes agree go back and see the pro. What worries me is that you're not hitting it as far at the range !!
This is why I like to try clubs out at the range, so I can see the flight, and on a launch monitor before I buy

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes agree go back and see the pro. What worries me is that you're not hitting it as far at the range !!
This is why I like to try clubs out at the range, so I can see the flight, and on a launch monitor before I buy

I agree. Go back to the pro and maybe get him to look at you swinging it. May be a swing flaw trying to hit it too hard as you are losing distance

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's the fact that it's bloody freezing, mine were a good 30 yard shorter than normal today, don't believe the monitor, if you have your old driver take it outside and try it side by side

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I lost a few yards on the G however I was spinning it roughly 600 rpm more than the G30. Would need to try the G with my shaft and not the stock Ping shaft for a favourable comparison.

wonga

Club Champion
Visit site
Got fitted for the G and saw an immediate improvement both on the launch monitor and on the course! Go and see your fitting pro if you are not happy.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gear effect laws indicate that balls struck low on the face will generate more spin. Plenty of articles written on it. I would do exactly what is indicated above and go back to see what is happening. Only a launch monitor will be able to nail it down.

Regarding the shaft flex - Swing speed is not enough on it's own to indicate whether stiff is right or wrong, however as a rough guide (all other things being equal) your swing speed is in the range where stiff should be OK.

30 mins with your fitter should give you the answers, rather than try and self analysis. Good luck

paulv

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely go back and see the pro I just wanted a second opinion to see if anyone else had experienced this problem when moving to a stiffer shaft.

I have tried both my old and new driver at the range side by side and I can still easily carry the back fence with my old driver. I know the shaft in the G driver is slightly shorter so it could be causing me to hit it a little lower on the face than my old one. Like you have all recommended I will get this sorted with the pro rather than try to self diagnose.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Paul don't know if this has been said but take both your drivers to show and compare 👍