Frustrated..

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played at Scotscraig this morning and shot 91.

Having now done my stats for the round I hit 12 out of 14 fairways but only 4 out of 18 Greens in regulation and had 32 putts, no penaltys and no sand saves.

All the greens were missed short and left, and even when I took a club more I ended up hitting it heavy and coming up short.
It got so bad I was aiming way right to try and hit the greens but still managed to send them to the left.

Oh how I hate this game sometimes.

Think I need to go for a lesson with my irons. :D

T

thecraw

U just need to relax and stop thinking so hard. The more axious you become about it the more your body repeats it.

Get yourself down to the range a couple of nights this week Toad and you will sort it.

A couple of lessons to start the season never did anybody any harm. Might even win you the money at Blairgowrie!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toady...bad luck.

If you hit 4 greens only but your game was basicaly ok you'd have been in with a chance of playing 14 over??

12/14 fairways is great and forget about sand saves and all that jazz.

You're either pulling or hooking your irons, if you were clubbing up and still messing up, that's going to be a mental/tempo thing, if you swing it too easy and are aware of a "problem" I'm not surprised you hit some heavy ones, happens to everyone.

Get down the range and fix it up.....nothing else to do.....your swing can't be really messed up (12/14 f), you just need to tweak a few things. You sound like me a few days ago. I weakened off my grip, made sure my alignment was back on track and shot a 3 over for 9 on Sunday.

Good luck. It'll pass. Oh...and something else must have been a bit dodgy, 'cause you must have made a few doubles and had some disastrous other goings on with only 32 putts???

Dave

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers for the advice lads.

Dave my putting was good when I eventually found the green just took too many to get on.
My chipping was terrible catching them fat mostly think I was trying too hard to make up for missing the greens with the approach shots.
Going out tomorrow to play 9 holes with only my irons and just try to concentrate on getting a clean connection and try to make a smooth swing.

T

thecraw

concentrate on tring to sweeeeeeeeeeeep the ball off the turf toady.

If you have one of these mats that many golf courses make you use at this time of year then hit off of that its a good drill.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toad, when ever i play nine holes or a short 18 i always use the winter matts with no tee just for the practice. If ya take a couple practice swings first taking a little bit of the mat and then play the shot i find this helps me find my swing again.

I have completly given up on my driver and now my long/mid iron shots have come on 10 fold in last month. Played a full 18 today with out my driver and i was still hitting the green in less shots than my father in law who was drivin a consistant 200 yards of the tee.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been struggling with a few fats of late, would have played 2 better yesterday without 2 fatted (wasted) pitch shots.

What I am thinking is that I've been unconsciously moving my weight a lot to my right, which I can get away with (normal!) on a full swing, but kind of dangerous on a short pitch.

I've done 100 small swings tonight (on a piece of old carpet!!) deliberately not moving to the right, and will get to the practice area tomorrow or the next day to see if I can build some confidence back.

You seem to be doing nicely off the tee, and putting fairly well, I know just how depressing it gets when a few chips/pitches get wasted.

I hope you find a cure!

Dave