Fresh golfer, advice for future?

Kirbz

Visit site
So i've been playing golf for about 2/3 months now. I'm 18 years old, and it's fast become my favourite sport. I could play it for hours after hours and not get bored at all, which for a sport that a lot of people class as tedious is very good. I began going over the driving range, and I instantly took a liking to the sport. I then found myself driving the ball consistently 200/225 yards with the borrowed driver from the range. With this I went and purchased my set of clubs, a set consisting of a Callaway driver, Nike woods, and Taylor-Made irons. I purchased a new Odyssey putter and my set was ready to hit the local course with.

So my first round of golf was at Hainault, in Essex, which if you don't know is a very challenging course for many experienced golfers to play. Lots of trees/forest land, and uneven greens. I hit a lot of bogeys and managed to par the Par 3 near the end... on my first ever round. My pal I was playing with was in awe, and when asked how I did it, I simply replied 'did what?'.

I then played the course a week later with my dad, and managed to Par two holes, and bogey even more consistently. My driving throughout both rounds was very good, long, straight and consistent. For a new golfer to lose only 2 balls over 2 rounds it must be pretty decent (so i've been told).

So where to next for me? I just need a bit of guidance. My love for the game is very strong, and I feel like i'm naturally good at it. I went over the range yesterday to kill some time and went with a couple of friends who I haven't seen play golf yet. On the way there they were saying to each other about their shots, how well they hit, etc. They even had an app on their phone which shows them their swing. However when we got over there one hit the side netting in excess of 70 times and the other hit more dud shots than clean... whilst I was in the bay next to them consistently hitting clean shots to targets.

I don't want to sound like i'm licking my own ****, because i'm not. I've never bigged myself up at anything, I just feel so naturally good at Golf, and just want to know what next? How do I go about getting a handicap? And what handicap will I likely play off going off my first two rounds?

Thanks, any help/advice will be appreciated.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Kirbz.

Did you keep a total score for your first 2 rounds? If so, what were they.

It sounds like you're a natural, but the better you get the more frustrating it gets, and you have to be ready for bad days when it feels like you have no idea how to swing the club.

If I were you, and you're convinced this is the game for you, I'd be looking to join a local club, get a handicap and start playing in competitions.
At 18 I understand money might be an issue, but lots of clubs have discounted rates for young people.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Kirbz

Visit site
Welcome to the forum Kirbz.

Did you keep a total score for your first 2 rounds? If so, what were they.

It sounds like you're a natural, but the better you get the more frustrating it gets, and you have to be ready for bad days when it feels like you have no idea how to swing the club.

If I were you, and you're convinced this is the game for you, I'd be looking to join a local club, get a handicap and start playing in competitions.
At 18 I understand money might be an issue, but lots of clubs have discounted rates for young people.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
I didn't actually keep an exact score all I know is I hit a lot of bogies and a good share of pars. I'm playing again next weekend so will keep score and keep everyone updated on my progress. Appreciate the help!