Free relief after having to call unplayable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Situation from the weekend.

A mate slices his approach shot into bushes right next to a pathway right of green (the bushes on the right hand side of the pathway).

He wanted to take unplayable and use relief two club lengths. Ball would then have to be dropped on the left hand side of a pathway and from there take free relief off the pathway which would put the ball back for an open shot of grass.

None of us was sure of What the correct procedure was here. I said I didn’t think it was correct, but had a hard time explaining my thinking, which I still have. It just seemed strange to me that you could incur a penalty shot on yourself and then take advantage of free relief based on where the ball was dropped.

Hope someone can come and educate me on this one!

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 25172

You take relief under penalty from the unplayable, if the drop is on the path that's just the way it is.

After the ball is dropped, if the path then interferes and he gets free relief, he just starts a new process.

Thanks!

Yeah, it was the second part that I was unsure of, if it was to be treated as a new process or if it somehow would be combined as part of the first action.

I was wrong then. I’m sure he’ll be glad to hear that. :D

Swango1980

Visit site
Thanks!

Yeah, it was the second part that I was unsure of, if it was to be treated as a new process or if it somehow would be combined as part of the first action.

I was wrong then. I’m sure he’ll be glad to hear that. :D
Once he drops for his unplayable on the path (under penalty), he can then take relief from the path. Of course, his nearest point of relief may have took him straight back into the bush, especially if he was left-handed :)