Freak shot

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
nope - still confused Dunc!
lets ignore the water and just concentrate on no 1

I'm on a par 3 and i hit my tee shot straight into a bunker
if i'm having a mare with bunkers i can then deem it unplayable straight away and take 3 off the tee? stroke and distance penalty.

doesnt seem right to me!

And....
If you do hit the green, then have a rush of blood to the head and putt off the green into the bunker, again, you can just lift it out under 1 shot penalty and place it back on the green again

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

if i'm having a mare with bunkers i can then deem it unplayable straight away and take 3 off the tee? stroke and distance penalty.

doesnt seem right to me!

You don't have to deem it unplayable in order to take the S&D option. This is available at any time under Rule 27-1a.

Maybe one way of looking at it is that on the same hole your opponent has hit a terrible shot OOB or into water. They can hit again under S&D. Is it right or fair that that might give them an advantage compared to you and that you are left thinking you'd have been better off if you had done the same?

It some ways it just levels the playing field by always giving every player the same option independently of other factors.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
nope - still confused Dunc!
lets ignore the water and just concentrate on no 1

doesnt seem right to me!

first, forget about deeming it unplayable as it confuses things in this context!!!

can you, at any time - anywhere on the course, decide to replay your last shot under stroke and distance penalty (27-1)? The answer is yes, unless you had holed out.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What doesn't seem right? You are now 3 off the tee, no closer to the hole and might end up in a bunker again! Your posts are coming across as if you see this as an advantage!!

haha
i dont have any probs with bunkers - but i play with some very high hcap ladies who do
i have witnessed them taking as much as 8/10/14 strokes to get out of one! so for them stroke and distance would be a distinct advantage

so for them to drop a shot taking a stroke and distance penalty (albeit with the chance of going into the bunker again) could be advantageous

you have no idea how painful it is for them, or to watch them and not being able to give advice

;)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
haha
i dont have any probs with bunkers - but i play with some very high hcap ladies who do
i have witnessed them taking as much as 8/10/14 strokes to get out of one! so for them stroke and distance would be a distinct advantage

so for them to drop a shot taking a stroke and distance penalty (albeit with the chance of going into the bunker again) could be advantageous

you have no idea how painful it is for them, or to watch them and not being able to give advice

;)

You could advise them - after the game- to get a bunker lesson!

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Did the club not indicate that due to the water levels that any bunkers with water in where deemed GUR. Ours did as a local rule till the levels dropped to a level where stance and drops could be taken within bunkers

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did the club not indicate that due to the water levels that any bunkers with water in where deemed GUR. Ours did as a local rule till the levels dropped to a level where stance and drops could be taken within bunkers

Q.May a Committee make a Local Rule allowing a player to drop out of any bunker filled with casual water, without penalty, contrary to Rule 25-1b(ii)?
A.No. The Committee may not make a Local Rule providing generally that flooded bunkers are ground under repair through the green, as such a Local Rule waives a penalty imposed by the Rules of Golf, contrary to Rule 33-8b.
However, in exceptional circumstances, where certain specific bunkers are completely flooded and there is no reasonable likelihood of the bunkers drying up during the round, the Committee may introduce a Local Rule providing relief without penalty from specific bunkers. Prior to introducing such a Local Rule, the Committee must be convinced that such exceptional circumstances exist and that providing relief without penalty from specific bunkers is more appropriate than simply applying Rule 25-1b(ii). If the Committee elects to introduce a Local Rule, the following wording is suggested:
"The flooded bunker on [insert location of bunker; e.g., left of 5th green] is ground under repair. If a player's ball lies in that bunker or if that bunker interferes with the player's stance or the area of his intended swing and the player wishes to take relief, he must take relief outside the bunker, without penalty, in accordance with Rule 25-1b(i). All other bunkers on the course, regardless of whether they contain water, maintain their status as hazards and the Rules apply accordingly."