Frankenwood Part II

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, the monster is not dead. Not actually alive yet either…but…

I’m still keen to cut a driver to my desired length (sub 45”) but I have two questions, which I believe may divide opinion.

1. If I cut 1 to 1.25” off a 45.75” Driver, will the difference in swing weight be noticeable? If so, in what way?
2. Cutting at least 1” off the butt of the shaft will have what effect on the overall flex, if any?

I already choke down on a driver, but I’m looking for a long term fix here for a club MY ideal length, so cutting down it shall be. The SLDR Mini experiment is ok, but I think that big ol’ head of a driver is needed for me.

Thoughts appreciated in advance.

Cheers

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I already choke down on a driver,.......

Thoughts appreciated in advance.

Cheers

it will feel and flex exactly the same when cut down as it already does when you choke down on it to the same position (the weight of the small piece of shaft above your hands is insignificant in this context)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cut my R9 down by an inch and never looked back mate, I use it more than my Mini now. Not really fussed with all that weighting malarky, it looks/feels better at address and I can hit it much better now. Yes it's slightly lighter but that suits me fine.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cut my R9 down by an inch and never looked back mate, I use it more than my Mini now. Not really fussed with all that weighting malarky, it looks/feels better at address and I can hit it much better now. Yes it's slightly lighter but that suits me fine.

Taking the plunge might be the way to go fella!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Each half inch you cut the shaft down by will reduce the swingweight by 3 points. The head will feel lighter, but whether you like or not who can say?

Cutting from the butt end I don't think you'd notice any difference in flex.

What flex do you have in the mini?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each half inch you cut the shaft down by will reduce the swingweight by 3 points. The head will feel lighter, but whether you like or not who can say?

Cutting from the butt end I don't think you'd notice any difference in flex.

What flex do you have in the mini?

If you cut 1" off the butt, then that reduces the swing weight by 6 points...

Ok, so then if a lighter grip (by 25g) was added would that add 5 swing weight points?

Mini is Regular.

Cheers

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is where I got the info from...

http://clubmaker-online.com/swingweight.factors.html

That would suggest that a 24g lighter grip would offset cutting an inch off.
Assuming you like the swingweight now, that's what you would do ideally.

I was curious about the mini flex as I have an SLDR that plays 44" I could have been talked into swopping if you were interested, but it's stiff.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Made the jump, the X2 Hot is having a haircut as we speak, 1" off and Winn Lite grip applied. Fingers crossed...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is where I got the info from...

http://clubmaker-online.com/swingweight.factors.html

That would suggest that a 24g lighter grip would offset cutting an inch off.
Assuming you like the swingweight now, that's what you would do ideally.

I was curious about the mini flex as I have an SLDR that plays 44" I could have been talked into swopping if you were interested, but it's stiff.

Thats pretty much what Ive just cut a shaft down to Gary lol, wish Id known in advance lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's only stiff.... not iron girder ;)

How are you getting on with it?
Has it adversely affected how it feels?

Not hit it yet, have picked up the norovirus so confined to the sofa currently! Had been using my 3 wood shaft in it for a while and that seemed to provide much more control (albeit head felt heavier which I quite liked)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
First round out with the cut down X2 Hot today. Used it 12 times, hit 9 fairways. Very happy, control inspires confidence to boom it! One of the fairway misses could not be attributed to length mind, did my best to nearly miss the ball completely.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First round out with the cut down X2 Hot today. Used it 12 times, hit 9 fairways. Very happy, control inspires confidence to boom it! One of the fairway misses could not be attributed to length mind, did my best to nearly miss the ball completely.

Similar here tsped, now have my driver playing at 43" and just so much more confident with it and dont feel as though Ive given up much distance at all. Now to lop an inch off the 3 wood lol

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Similar here tsped, now have my driver playing at 43" and just so much more confident with it and dont feel as though Ive given up much distance at all. Now to lop an inch off the 3 wood lol

The shorter length certainly helps mate. I put a lighter grip on but in hindsight don't think I'd notice any swingweight changes anyway.