Foursomes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just played in the club foursomes. 36 holes medal play. I was with my old oppo Rob Soutar who many of you will have seen from yhe GM challenge feature.

We actually played the front nine ok after starting with a double and despite chucking in another two doubles for good measure we were out level to our handicap. Sadly the back nine was complete meltdown (from nowhere) and we limpped back in +7

This afternoon we played pretty well again on the front nine depsite a couple of early doubles. A chip in birdie by yours truely set up a run of pars and we were out well below our handicap.

Any hope of making a charge fell away on the first two holes of the back nine amidst heavy drizzle which made a challenging format even harder. In the end we ground out a net 72 (+2) for a 149 (+9). As neither of us are in good form at the moment and only play foursomes once a year it was an interesting experience. Do any other forum members play this on more than say one or two occasions a year or is the format only really still going in these annual events?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a funny game, probably not best appreciated on an expensive green fee!!!

I've played it and we always strategise to fix the driving to suit, but it never works!!!

It's a good fun game with a mate, but intensely frustrating to only enjoy 1/2 the action....and all those apologies....

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we only play once or twice a year,i find the game quite hard trying to play to another persons strategies on the course,usually totally different shots than i would play for myself,however i do enjoy the team element to the game and wouldn't mind playing more of it,though not every week.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just got back from the members invitational at Hindhead,where the afternoon round was foursomes.
Can think of no better way to test a friendship!

Picture the scene,after morning fourball we are lying handily in third place,start on tenth having come back 2 under gross in morning.

On the 16th my mate hit it in the trees off the tee,I chopped it out,he hit it back in the trees,I reckoned I could cut it round the corner so he could reach green and we could get a point,I then hit it into the trees (see a pattern),he then hit it through the trees onto the road! Cue two mates lying in the damp grass laughing like drains!

Guess what,we didnt win.

Great Day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The great thing about the 36 hole format was that I teed off onthe odds this morning and my oppo had to do the same this afternoon. Therefore we both had equal opportunities to mess up or hit screamers. Actually on reflection it wasn't actually our driving that was the problem we just couldn't seem to find the greens or lay up into sensible places (cue hooks and slices into thick wet rough) and then our short game and putting went to pot.

We are still talking though despite everything. Have to admit I've been dozing off in front of the telly tonight and not looking forward to my early start for the monthly medal

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thankfully we have had the good fortune to let each other down a lot over the years.
When we hit an isshy one we will say sorry,but when we hit a truly awful one it is normally followed with "get out of that smart arse!"

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just played this format once a few weeks ago-it was a club trial for the a mixed foursomes interclub competition-i enjoyed the experience-was not in a position to make the team as the match was to be palyed today and clashed with the interclub competition i am currently playing in-
as an side we won the 2nd round of the interclub competition today-in the quarter finals now.

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we play one comp a year (i think) as foursomes - really doesnt suit my game. I'm very irratic off the tee, but have learned to recover pretty well most of the time (think Tiger Woods on a bad day, without the ability).

This format allowes me to get in trouble and makes someone else deal with it...

One of our annual knock-outs is in this format too - the Family Cup. Luckily i dont play in this.

I wonder if there is a Foursomes better ball format? i.e. both tee off, then take alternate shots with your parters ball??