foursomes

RulesGuy

Visit site
Does anyone know it the powers that be have issued any guidelines regarding touching your partners ball (putting green, preferred lies in bunkers) At the moment it would be a penalty to change balls. Thanks

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems the "powers that be" don't have a lot of common sense. What harm can it be to the game to change balls under these circumstances? What happens if players just choose to do so?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should you wish to play foursomes golf the following is recommended:

Each partner should use their own golf ball, which is only handled by that player. For example the player teeing off from hole 1 is the only one that touches the ball from teeing off through to completion of the hole. The partner teeing off from hole 2 does likewise with their ball. Under the Rules of Golf a partner is permitted to drop the side’s ball in taking relief. It is also permissible to drop another ball when taking relief.
When marking and replacing the ball on the putting green this should be conducted by the partner the ball belongs to. Under this situation (or any other where the ball must be replaced) the original ball must be used and must not be substituted by another ball.
You should please continue to abide by England Golf’s Play Safe, Stay Safe guidelines click here. In addition it is recommend that each player carries their own hand sanitiser in case they touch their partners golf ball in error.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would not see it being a problem playing foursomes

Every time a ball needs to be lifted surely the player who owns the ball can do the lift clean and place.

22.2 Either Partner May Act for Side
As both partners compete as one side playing only one ball:
• Either partner may take any allowed action for the side before the stroke is made, such as to mark the spot of the ball and lift, replace, drop and place the ball, no matter which partner’s turn it is to play next for the side.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm quite certain that the players involved in foursomes can figure out a way to avoid touching their partner's ball and equipment. It's really not that difficult.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think in the grand scheme of things not being able to play foursomes isn't a big deal really.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
No it's not difficult to play like a couple of beginners, the wrong person marking, cleaning, replacing the ball etc.

What proper golfer wants someone else putting his ball down on the green, potentially trying to line it up etc?

It would slow things down, player A hits ball onto green but player B has to stand round like a lemon until A arrives to mark and lift the ball, and in turn put it back eventually.

Just why would anyone bother?
It would be ridiculous.
Some common sense would say that player B would mark A's ball on the green, knock it away with his putter and put his own ball at the marker. No big deal (I realize that such a substitution is not within the Rules of golf) in a bounce game. What's the issue?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should you wish to play foursomes golf the following is recommended:

Each partner should use their own golf ball, which is only handled by that player. For example the player teeing off from hole 1 is the only one that touches the ball from teeing off through to completion of the hole. The partner teeing off from hole 2 does likewise with their ball. Under the Rules of Golf a partner is permitted to drop the side’s ball in taking relief. It is also permissible to drop another ball when taking relief.
When marking and replacing the ball on the putting green this should be conducted by the partner the ball belongs to. Under this situation (or any other where the ball must be replaced) the original ball must be used and must not be substituted by another ball.
You should please continue to abide by England Golf’s Play Safe, Stay Safe guidelines click here. In addition it is recommend that each player carries their own hand sanitiser in case they touch their partners golf ball in error.
That seems to cover it.
I must admit I hadn't seen that.