Foursomes - ultimate golf?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I love Foursomes... there's a statement!

It is a much maligned format but i reckon it is golf in its most original and purest form - what better way to spend a Saturday morning than with a few mates, wandering around the course, having time to chat and enjoy the scenery and keeping it competitive enough without a bad performance ruing your weekend?

Also invariably they come down the closing few holes still alive - and the drinks afterwards are that much more fun! Bring it on I say.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find foursomes good in the summer when everyone in the group is playing plenty of golf. An ultra competitive foursomes match is certainly one of the most enjoyable formats you can play.

For the rest of the year, playing your own ball is much better. Once you get past some random golf on the front 9 it usually gets more enjoyable on the back.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's the old story of the man who was seen practising on the course on his own, and people noticed that he was playing a shot then walking up to his ball and kicking it into the rough. When asked what he was doing, he said 'I'm practising for the weekend mixed foursomes.'

hacker53

Visit site
Foursomes is regarded as the purest form of golf.
My nephews have played in The Junior 4somes League in Kent, apparently the only Foursomes Junior league in the UK, and they really enjoy it.
They both want to play for their County and Foursomes is a key format in representative Golf.

B

birdieman

we play very little foursomes at our club, mostly fourball. personally prefer fourball, dont get enough golf to play in a foursome so cant get any rythym going. The last mixed foursomes I played I stuck a nice 7 iron to 8 feet and my partner proceeded to putt it at least 25 feet off the green Stangely I haven't been drawn back to that trophy since!