Forgiving Driver

Andy Hill

Visit site
Please help, I have played on and off badly for around 30 years and have started again after a 22 year break. A really kind colleague gave me a set of Taylormade clubs with a 10.5 degree driver...I lose confidence quickly if I have a mare off the tee, I played my first 9 holes last week with friends to say it was embarrassing is an understatement! I don’t have a lot to spend but should I be looking at a big Bertha style driver with a loft of around 13.5 degrees....your thoughts please. Thanks

Andy.

DCB

Visit site
IMO loft is your friend, you may not hit it as far as your mates, but, you may well keep it in the fairway far more often. I went to a 12' driver a good few years back and have never thought of going back to a lower loft.

Well worth trying.

AdamC28

Visit site
As a cheap option you may want to look at playing a slighter shorter shaft to give yourself a bit more control over the club head. What is your usual miss?

Another option is to just put the driver away for a while until you have more confidence. I can play my whole course without hitting driver once and it doesn’t affect scoring opportunities as much as you’d think.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You mention that you have already driver. If you after cheap solutions consider to have a lesson, they usually around 30 to 60 pounds. If your technic with a driver is bad it want make any different how forgiving it is.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't think anything has better forgiveness than a Ping K15. Pick up a nice used one and if you are still struggling it's lesson time.

Fabia999

Visit site
I had the same problem as you. I couldn't get the ball in the air with my 10.5 driver. I'm not a fast swinger. I bought a Mizuno JPX EZ 12 degree driver (can change to 10.5 - 13 or 13.5) and I hit them lovely. I'm now at the point where I'm using pink tees instead of orange to lower the shots. Hit them around 170-180 now.

I also had a 'fitting' at American golf. I basically hit a few shots with the 2nd hand drivers until I found the one which suited me best. I was originally planning on getting the Wilson D300 13 degrees.

I paid something like £60-70 and I've still got it a year later. So having a look at some 2nd hands in AG might be worth a look.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
most forgiving driver I've ever had is the TM M2 #1, but you also need the right head shaft combination

can be had cheap now too as its a few years old

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Anything that is semi-modern and not low loft or low spin will be suitable - shaft flex to suit swing speed.

But you will never drive well without being confident and committing to your swing. Defensive swings rarely yield good results, especially with longer clubs.

You have to find a way to work that out, whether it is a lesson, a few hundred range balls or some practice rounds out by yourself - find a swing that you can be confident in and committed to.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Most forgiving driver I've used is a 3wood (metal, but you know what I mean)

At most its 10% down on distance but 50% down on dispersion!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are plenty of 2nd hand bargains around so it may be more prudent to invest in a lesson and learn to hit the driver better, work on the drills and improve technique and then give yourself more options if you still want to buy one with more loft

micklson66

Visit site
I have started to use a Tom Wishon 13 deg high launch and it has worked well for me. Like comments above i have shortened the shaft which i also find helps.
But like everything in golf it comes down to how you swing it so lessons with a recommended pro may work out cheaper than splashing the cash on a new driver.
Slowing down my backswing made a huge difference to controlling the driver.
Hope you find something that works