Foresomes - How do you decide who takes which Tee shots

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How do you and your partner decide who is taking odds and who is taking evens?

Playing a course tomorrow which I've never played but my partner has. I believe (I know although yet to confirm it) I'll be taking the evens. Based on Par 3's and approach shots on Par 5's. 12 of the 18 approach shots will be with my partner off 6 - based on hitting GIR on each hole (yes I know its a tough ask!)

So...how do you decide?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never done it, but on our course, four of the five par 3s are on odd-number holes, so that would obviously be a big consideration. And the two longest holes are both evens.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there are significant differences in your capabilities you can take into account all the factors available you to decide - it's not rocket science but it can be a significant benefit.

Then again, the larger the disparity between capabilities the less likely that any plan will survive long after starting...

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never done it, but on our course, four of the five par 3s are on odd-number holes, so that would obviously be a big consideration. And the two longest holes are both evens.

That was how Seve and Ollie decided how they would play at Muirfield Village in the 87 Ryder Cup. All the par 3's are on even numbered holes so Ollie teed off on these as he was having a mare with his driver.

Hackers76

Visit site
My normal partner draws the ball well whereas I am straight / baby fade. There are a few holes which benefit his shot shape so that is the main focus for us.

D

Deleted member 1147

My partner will take the odd numbers, as he's shorter off the tee than me. On the even numbers, my partner will pretend to be me. I will pray for 18 holes that no-one notices.
I once played against 2 identical twins. The only way to tell them apart was that one was left handed, the other one right handed.
It was tough to keep track!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
11th hole requires a cut off the tee, I struggle to cut, much prefer my draw.

I therefore play the evens.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tell my partner to play evens because he hits the ball longer than me, which is partially true, however the other side of the it is that the odds have the least forgiving tee shots and I am a lot straighter off the tee.

It’s a lot harder to call on an away course I’d normally volunteer if I am the lower handicap as I don’t mind hitting infront of a crowd if it’s a club match.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That part of the strategy is important and it sounds as though you’re thinking properly with par 3s and approaches. Much more important is that you play as a team, talk to each other, you might spot things he doesn’t and visa versa. Even more importantly don’t feel bad if you hit a bad shot, he will too, if you dwell on it or try to win back pride with a great next shot you lose focus from the task. In club foursomes birdies rarely happen, Par is a great score, don’t try to win the house with a hero shot you only have one ball so keep it in play and out of trouble and let the oppo come unstuck

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It really does depend on the course and individual skills.

Most times I play it as mixed format and I like to have the ladies play the odds because it means they tee off on the par 5s and the longest par 4 which are 3 shot holes and the longest par 3 which can often be a two to get to the green regardless. Where I drive to on most of the evens should leave the ladies a chance of getting on to the green.

D

Deleted member 15717

When on our home course, my partner is a better iron player, and slightly longer off the tee so takes the odds. 3 out of 4 par 3s are odd number, and the 2 longest par 4s are odds.

When going away from home in competition, we’ll normally have a practice round and decide after that - but we usually don’t care too much. We’re both off a similar handicap and don’t care where we have to hit our shots from as we both know that we weren’t meant to play from the deep stuff!