Foreign travel/currency cards.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure there's a daily limit but I've never had any issues with that. Maybe different for a family holiday though
Ta.

I'm generalising but I think a lot of providers provide free transactions when using a card, but its cash withdrawals abroad (if you want it, that is) that causes issues. Some charge for withdrawals, and some charge interest from 'day 1' (some even both). But if you don't want/need cash, then theres a lot more 'free' options available.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whatever card you use it needs to be versatile as in more than just Norway. We have a Caxton card. Very good indeed.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ta.

I'm generalising but I think a lot of providers provide free transactions when using a card, but its cash withdrawals abroad (if you want it, that is) that causes issues. Some charge for withdrawals, and some charge interest from 'day 1' (some even both). But if you don't want/need cash, then theres a lot more 'free' options available.

The regular monzo account is up to £200 a day but I have the extra account which is £400 a day - plenty for all but the most hedonistic of trips I'd have said.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We were there for 4 days and I never saw anything seedy at all. It was really lovely and felt pretty safe.

The only rip off were the ruin bars which were charging 6 euros for a beer when the going rate elsewhere was 2-3.

I think a lot of these Eastern European cities have cleaned up their act and made active efforts to dissuade the stag and hen do’s from going. We were in Riga last year, it was very similar.

I've been a couple of times now and seen both sides of the city. When there with a 35 strong stag do in 2022 there was certainly enough to cater for all "tastes".

The previous time I went was much more cultured and the city catered very well for that as well.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The regular monzo account is up to £200 a day but I have the extra account which is £400 a day - plenty for all but the most hedonistic of trips I'd have said.
Interesting. Is that £200 every day? (Or £400 in your case). Last time I looked at Monzo it was £200 in any 30 day period (So in my case, sort of enough, but not quite enough to go with it)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another vote for Revolut. Very good exchange rate - just be wary of out of hours additional exchange limits, if you need to convert more than you anticipated.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Interesting. Is that £200 every day? (Or £400 in your case). Last time I looked at Monzo it was £200 in any 30 day period (So in my case, sort of enough, but not quite enough to go with it)

Having just checked i believe i stand corrected! It is now £400 across a rolling 30 day period across all cards, any in excess of that is a 3% fee.

Tbh with the Monzo exchange rates when compared to my normal debit card it still worked better.

Screenshot_20240409_151306_Monzo.jpg

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another vote for Revolut. Very good exchange rate - just be wary of out of hours additional exchange limits, if you need to convert more than you anticipated.
What's the benefit of conversion? As I understand it, Revolut will automatically pay in the local currency without the need to convert before you travel or while you are away. Is it basically a form of currency speculation (ie you want to take advantage of todays rate for future use as you think the exchange rate is going to get worse)?

I used my card all over the place while abroad last weekend without incurring any charges, so it looks to be an optional thing?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been a couple of times now and seen both sides of the city. When there with a 35 strong stag do in 2022 there was certainly enough to cater for all "tastes".

The previous time I went was much more cultured and the city catered very well for that as well.
We did a tour of the Jewish Quarter which seemed a bit edgier during the day, I could imagine it could be dodgy at night time. The main tourist area around the Pest side of the Danube felt very safe at night, a lot more restaurants than bars.

The best view was from the rooftop bar at The Marriott at night, stunning.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the benefit of conversion? As I understand it, Revolut will automatically pay in the local currency without the need to convert before you travel or while you are away. Is it basically a form of currency speculation (ie you want to take advantage of todays rate for future use as you think the exchange rate is going to get worse)?

I used my card all over the place while abroad last weekend without incurring any charges, so it looks to be an optional thing?
Correct. You do speculate on the rate. Some are happy to do this, others, like myself, like the certainty.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Correct. You do speculate on the rate. Some are happy to do this, others, like myself, like the certainty.
Thanks.

I can see the attraction if your domestic currency is on a non-stop downward spiral (like the Turkish Lira), but don’t see much benefit for UK-based punters.