Foreign travel/currency cards.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Off on a cruise around the Norwegian fjords in a few weeks.

Any recommendations for a travel card to take out so we don't need to worry about taking currency.

Thanks.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a Virgin Money credit card before our trip to Spain last year. No fees for spending abroad which was the main attraction of it.

D-S

Visit site
I've got a Nat West credit card no fees and an extremely good ROE. Used it recently to pay for a group holiday in Euros and saved £700, which we would have paid had the organiser used his normal card and their ROE.

Oldbutwise

Visit site
I've got a Nat West credit card no fees and an extremely good ROE. Used it recently to pay for a group holiday in Euros and saved £700, which we would have paid had the organiser used his normal card and their ROE.
Halifax Clarity card or Revolut. Both have no fees.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m just back from a few days in Budapest. I got a Revolut card for the trip, can thoroughly recommend it. No fees if withdrawing cash and a market leading exchange rate.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m just back from a few days in Budapest. I got a Revolut card for the trip, can thoroughly recommend it. No fees if withdrawing cash and a market leading exchange rate.
What did you think of it? I went 20 years ago, lots can change in that time.

I remember one side was nice, the other not so. I also remember lots of strip clubs on otherwise respectable streets, that we were all warned not to go it as we would get ripped off. The bouncers on them all were so sinister that no one did, 20 blokes on a work trip, must have been a record 😂

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
First Direct. No fees on their debit cards never mind credit cards. Santander credit card but it's been withdrawn, but the wife has it. Halifax clarity used to be no fees, not sure now

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Barclaycard Rewards card. No foreign transactions fees, and no fees on cash withdrawal. Easy enough to pay it off as you go (if you're getting close to the credit limit or the statement date that is) . That way you don't incur any interest charges. Got it simply to use abroad - I don't bother to use it for anything else.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a Revolute card, been superb for holidays, no fees on withdrawals or transactions, has worked very well over a number of holidays.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Off on a cruise around the Norwegian fjords in a few weeks.

Any recommendations for a travel card to take out so we don't need to worry about taking currency.

Thanks.
We use:
Nationwide visa credit card. No fees when buying stuff.
Nationwide Flexplus debit card. Depending on which foreign bank, no fee on cash.

D

Deleted member 35504

Wise (used to be Transferwise).
Superb, you load it up online into whatever currency you want on the App from your UK bank, and then use the card like a local debit card.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What did you think of it? I went 20 years ago, lots can change in that time.

I remember one side was nice, the other not so. I also remember lots of strip clubs on otherwise respectable streets, that we were all warned not to go it as we would get ripped off. The bouncers on them all were so sinister that no one did, 20 blokes on a work trip, must have been a record 😂
We were there for 4 days and I never saw anything seedy at all. It was really lovely and felt pretty safe.

The only rip off were the ruin bars which were charging 6 euros for a beer when the going rate elsewhere was 2-3.

I think a lot of these Eastern European cities have cleaned up their act and made active efforts to dissuade the stag and hen do’s from going. We were in Riga last year, it was very similar.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Monzo for me. Use it as a secondary bank account when home but primarily use it when away. Mainly draw money out as needed and leave Monzo deal with the exchange as their rates are preferential

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same here except the RBS version. Just pay everything on debit card as normal, no need messing about loading or topping up cards.

Only drawback is I can easily overspend in the La Manga pro shop that way…