For Information - Leatherjackets

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
interesting mention of Nematodes as a solution. I think Dornoch tried this on the 6th Green and it had a serious effect on it almost killing the whole green, i think its sorted now.

Our place now seems to be convinced the crows and rooks are the answer, or at least that what it look s like;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
interesting mention of Nematodes as a solution. I think Dornoch tried this on the 6th Green and it had a serious effect on it almost killing the whole green, i think its sorted now.
Can't see why. Nematodes are not a chemical. They are microscopic worms which feed on unwanted pests. Provided they are targeted at the specific problem they do not have any side effects. Different nematodes are used for different pests.
My club used them a few years ago for leather jacket grubs. No problem since but we spray with nematodes every alternate year.
Many gardens around here have been badly affected by chafer grubs over the last few years. I sorted them out within a month with a chemical treatment which is still available in the US but not the EU (via a BA pilot friend). I now use targeted nematodes and there is no trace but many neighbours are still affected. Some have taken their lawns up and resown, turfed or even paved.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't see why. Nematodes are not a chemical. They are microscopic worms which feed on unwanted pests. Provided they are targeted at the specific problem they do not have any side effects. Different nematodes are used for different pests.
My club used them a few years ago for leather jacket grubs. No problem since but we spray with nematodes every alternate year.
Many gardens around here have been badly affected by chafer grubs over the last few years. I sorted them out within a month with a chemical treatment which is still available in the US but not the EU (via a BA pilot friend). I now use targeted nematodes and there is no trace but many neighbours are still affected. Some have taken their lawns up and resown, turfed or even paved.
no idea, just that RD had used then on LJ and then they had problems with them. green was in a right state

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
no idea, just that RD had used then on LJ and then they had problems with them. green was in a right state
Interesting. Crane fly and chafer beetles don't normally invade greens. There is too much green keeping activity on them, the soil structure not always suitable and the grass is too short. They tend to concentrate on the fairways where the surface is less intensively maintained.
Nematodes don't eat grass, only the pests. I'm guessing the treatment was applied too late (or too soon) in the pests life cycle.

Incidentally, people tend to often mistakenly blame leather jackets but birds and badgers prefer chafer grubs. Players rarely see the culprits so just call them leather jackets as they are more easily recognised being much larger and distinctive.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting. Crane fly and chafer beetles don't normally invade greens. There is too much green keeping activity on them, the soil structure not always suitable and the grass is too short. They tend to concentrate on the fairways where the surface is less intensively maintained.
Nematodes don't eat grass, only the pests. I'm guessing the treatment was applied too late (or too soon) in the pests life cycle.

Incidentally, people tend to often mistakenly blame leather jackets but birds and badgers prefer chafer grubs. Players rarely see the culprits so just call them leather jackets as they are more easily recognised being much larger and distinctive.
its leather jackets all right, you even see the dead adults sticking out the ground where the eggs have been laid

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What are the ugly flies you get around this time of year. We get 1000s down the 3rd, and 12th. Only for about two days though.

May flies? Seems a simple answer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have lots of black things around at the moment, one part of my walk each night goes past a chain link fence between the cemetery and the new torvean golf course and almost every plant, branch and link of the fence has one of these sitting on it, they may be St Marks Flies, but i'm not 100% sure

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, just googled it, and they are St Marks. We get zillions of them. Only for about a week, and not every year, but it can be pretty unpleasant.

D

Deleted member 23344

Saw a lot of caterpillars today at my club and, when we got to the 8th, there were a number of crows digging up the green to get at them.