FootJoy Giveaway - Favourite Masters shot?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This week something a bit more upbeat to lift the impending lockdown gloom - in no more than 150 words describe your favourite ever Masters shot and why?

Mine would still be Woosnam at the 18th swinging off his feet and into the unknown in 1991 (closely followed by Lyle from the sand)

We can run this until Masters Monday and then go again with some predictions

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bubba Watson from the trees in the play off for me. Most other plays would have no shot from there and he just knew the shot he wanted to play. And under the pressure of the playoff as well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
PhillyMick's 6 iron from the pine straw under the trees on 13. Not many people would have taken that on and made it.
And a dagger in the heart of Westy.

D

Deleted member 3432

Oh, and Jordan Spieth dunking it in the water opening the door for Danny Willet to walk right through.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two that arent overly famous but were stunning in their execution:

1998: Fred Couples second into the 15th to a couple of inches for a tap in eagle. He was in the lead on the 13th tee and pulled his tee shot way left to make a double (i think) and lost the lead. He then parred 14 and then hit that beaut on 15. As a response it was stunning. (Even if he still lost to O'Meara!)

I can't remember the year for the other but Phil Mick was with Tiger and Mickelson played a stunning banana shot out of the trees on the 7th that had so much spin on it that when the camera focused in on the ball when it stopped it was spinning like a top.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Not wishing Ill on anyone, but Jordan Speith carving not 1 but 2 onto the water are possibly my favourite shots
I’ll explain my rationale, in no particular order.

1, It opened the door for Danny Willett
2, it shows that even the best golfers are human and can fold under pressure
3, Doesn’t make me feel as bad when it happens to me

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
It would be Sandy Lyle on his way to victory. Not the 7 iron but the putt on 18 to win - downhill break, what a putt and the celebration with the awkward jig and the big sweat patches under his armpits!!!! I was 11 and watching at home in Scotland with my dad - both non golfers and after that putt we dropped we both looked at each other and said 'why don't we give golf a go??' Met Sandy at a bar in Glasgow a number of years later and he was a class act, told him he was responsible for my many years of golfing struggles!

D

Deleted member 1147

Faldo, 1996, 13th hole on day 4.
Beautiful long iron from a hanging lie.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not one shot, but five of them. All in the drink for Garcia to end his title defence.

I like Sergio and was chuffed he won the year before, but 2018 was the first year my daughter had started to join me on the course and one of her favourite things would be how I'd consistently fall short on our 18th and her giggles would be heard around the course as multiple (scrappy balls) would go plop.

Fast forward to April and Sergio hooked her on the Masters.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Jack Nicklaus' tee shot on 16, in the final round of the 86 Masters. As the ball was in the air, his son who was carrying his bag said something like 'Be the right club' to which Jack responded 'it is.' :cool:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Louis Oosthuizen albatross on the par 5 2nd 2012 Driver to A1 position then a solid long iron - shame he lost the playoff as that was an amazing display of golf.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
‘That’ chip in by Tiger on the final day in 2005. The way he analysed the shot before he hit it. He looked at every single part of the green and only by hitting it at exactly the right pace and landing it on exactly the right blade of grass would it go in. The celebration afterwards was amazing. Whether you liked Tiger or didn’t you couldn’t help but jump out of your seat when the ball dropped from hovering over the cup. Absolutely amazing.

D

Deleted member 3432

Can't understand why everyone is putting the yanks before our chaps :unsure:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
‘That’ chip in by Tiger on the final day in 2005. The way he analysed the shot before he hit it. He looked at every single part of the green and only by hitting it at exactly the right pace and landing it on exactly the right blade of grass would it go in. The celebration afterwards was amazing. Whether you liked Tiger or didn’t you couldn’t help but jump out of your seat when the ball dropped from hovering over the cup. Absolutely amazing.
“In your life.....”

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be Sandy Lyle on his way to victory. Not the 7 iron but the putt on 18 to win - downhill break, what a putt and the celebration with the awkward jig and the big sweat patches under his armpits!!!! I was 11 and watching at home in Scotland with my dad - both non golfers and after that putt we dropped we both looked at each other and said 'why don't we give golf a go??' Met Sandy at a bar in Glasgow a number of years later and he was a class act, told him he was responsible for my many years of golfing struggles!

so sandy shud have hit an 8???? defo sandys 7