Flying with golf clubs...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've taken clubs 'home' to NZ 3 times - in padded soft 'shell'.

Never had a problem with damage, though it got stuck in LA (1 day) once on the shute (I could even see it!). Got a free clean/disinfect (including shoes) from NZ Immigration during the Foot & Mouth outbreak. Just as well, as I was within a mile or so of an outbreak in Scotland and hadn't known - NZ is (rightly) obsessed with preventing F&M entering!

i*windows

Visit site
I use a cardboard golf club box, put 1/2 set in there, then have a foldable pencil bag that goes in my case. pay nothing extra for the box :)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've taken clubs 'home' to NZ 3 times - in padded soft 'shell'.

Never had a problem with damage, though it got stuck in LA (1 day) once on the shute (I could even see it!). Got a free clean/disinfect (including shoes) from NZ Immigration during the Foot & Mouth outbreak. Just as well, as I was within a mile or so of an outbreak in Scotland and hadn't known - NZ is (rightly) obsessed with preventing F&M entering!
Not just F&M , we took our golf shoes on honeymoon in 2006 and they had severe clean by immigration and likewise the clubs when we emmigrated a year later

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had my whole bag emptied out once in Manchester airport.
I had used some foam to wrap the heads and it shows up on the explosive list, apparently.
Everything on the floor lined up ,they even had a special board to bounce the balls on .
I thought he was joking at first, but they don’t do humour in airports.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I stand my golf shoes on end amongst the club heads - as they stand higher than the driver head. Then wrap towels aound everything (or waterproofs if flying up to Scotland ?) then stuff everything into a soft travel case. Not had any problems. Would probably go for a hard case if i could - but s someone has pointed out they take up a lot of room when not in use - and m tight for storage space zt home. A soft one squashes into a cupboard ok.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have taken my clubs on planes, to play abroad around 25-30 times.

As others have said, get a decent travel bag for the clubs, and then pack the top of the bag with things like extra towels (you need them for the sweat on hot days anyway), and my best tip is to use your golf shoes in the top of the bag for extra protection too. I pack my clubs carefully, and have never had an issue.