Flying with golf clubs...

D

Deleted member 23344

Personally I would not recommend a hard case. Really annoying if you need to get a cab to the airport. Plus harder to wheel around.

I’ve always used a soft case. I’ve had zero issues. I wrap a towel around the the heads the rain hood on top.

I bought a cheap Dunlop case as I thought they would be least likely to be stolen. It’s help up well over the last 6 years.

Eh? It’s no bigger than a soft bag ... although we always pre-book a bigger vehicle at each end anyway. Also, I cannot agree about it being harder to wheel around ... it glides along, and turns, very easily and with no sag in the middle like some soft bags.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Personally I would not recommend a hard case. Really annoying if you need to get a cab to the airport. Plus harder to wheel around.

I’ve always used a soft case. I’ve had zero issues. I wrap a towel around the the heads the rain hood on top.

I bought a cheap Dunlop case as I thought they would be least likely to be stolen. It’s help up well over the last 6 years.
Personally I wouldn't recommend a soft case. I've been through 2 or 3 that have been ripped to shreds over the years. My hardcase is easier to wheel around as it has 4 wheels so you can stand it up and push it or drag it using 2 wheels.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very good brand, lots of Tour players use them. Well, the ones that still fly commercial.

Another vote for Club Glove - awesome piece of kit, far better than the hard shell IMO (and I have used both), a bit expensive compared to some.....but then how expensive are a set of clubs!

I usually wrap a towel around the club heads, zip the carry bag rain cover up and good to go.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is to ensure you are adequately insured and don't rely on the standard insurance for damage/loss of equipment.

sunshine

Visit site
One of my mates has a hard case and it's so awkward when we are travelling: trying to fit several golf bags in the boot of the hire car is harder than the krypton factor when someone has a hard case. It's also much much heavier when lugging around, and takes up loads of space when you want to store it (e.g. on holiday I'll chuck my soft cover under the bed in the hotel / villa).

On the other hand, it obviously protects your clubs better. I understand the rationale if I'd just spent £500+ on TSi woods and Scotty putter etc.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have a Srixon soft wheeled travel cover which I've used in the past and it has served me well. I'd agree with having the Strong Arm or a Broom Handle in the bag to protect your clubs. Also it folds away to a small size in its own carry bag which makes it easy to store either when on holiday or at home. I've looked at the solid ones but as weight restrictions come in more, they will tend to use more of your allowance. And the rigidity is a benefit when shipping but a pain (IMHO) anywhere else.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got one of these after Mrs BiM injured her arm and excused herself from baggage handling duties; you can literally move it round with one finger.

If you haven’t got a stiff arm, a couple of broom handles have the same effect; take the hit first if the bag is dropped on its head.
I use an old fashioned mop leave the head on it.
Cut it down to 6” longer than your longest club.
Never had any problem.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
my advice;

club glove
Take the head off of your woods (if you can)
Tuck the shafts just under the height of the broom handle.
Wrap a towel between the irons and around the heads.

Travelled abroad like this several times and not had a problem (yet).

evemccc

Visit site
Another vote for Club Glove - awesome piece of kit, far better than the hard shell IMO (and I have used both), a bit expensive compared to some.....but then how expensive are a set of clubs!

I usually wrap a towel around the club heads, zip the carry bag rain cover up and good to go.
Now I am back from work I can actually read these responses in full and google / search on amazon for these products recommended by various people above

I appreciate all responses which have been helpful.

If you can, can you explain why the Club Glove is so good, please. Did you buy it direct from their site?

It is 8 X the price of this bag from MacGregor https://www.golfonline.co.uk/macgre...vMmQ1AO0ph5Rtj95iL9IqfpghJ3Z6OJRoCD8AQAvD_BwE

And 2.5 X the price of hard cases....I appreciate that everyone’s financial circumstances and priorities are v different.

And I haven’t discounted Club Glove, but why is it so good?

Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now I am back from work I can actually read these responses in full and google / search on amazon for these products recommended by various people above

If you can, can you explain why the Club Glove is so good, please. Did you buy it direct from their site?

It is 8 X the price of this bag from MacGregor https://www.golfonline.co.uk/macgre...vMmQ1AO0ph5Rtj95iL9IqfpghJ3Z6OJRoCD8AQAvD_BwE

And 2.5 X the price of hard cases....I appreciate that everyone’s financial circumstances and priorities are v different.

Thanks
If you get a hard case and the others get one you better get a van as they won’t fit in the boot of a lot of cars.
It’s the quality of the material ( ripstop etc) better zips, wheels .
Like a focus and a Bentley.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Thanks

How often are you planning on going? If you're planning on going once, buy the MacGregor & throw it away afterwards unless your baggage handlers have been very kind to it.

If you are planning on doing this on a regular basis, consider the Club Glove or a Sun Mountain Club Glider as an investment which will repay you over years.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...MIk4WggOnD7AIViu3tCh3jQQqMEAQYAyABEgL9dfD_BwE

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first time I took my clubs abroad 25 years ago I took the strap off, fitted the hood and taped it down with parcel tape. No problem even though I was transferring through Gatwick. Since then I have use my Titleist travel case with no issues.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks

Just the quality of the materials, the effectiveness of the straps to keep everything in place, excellent wheels and zips. I use my flight bag twice a year normally, I had a cheap hard case before the Club Glove and after the second trip it was only fit for the bin - the Club Glove has made around 20 trips now and there is not a mark on it, so for me it works out cheaper in the long term.

I can't remember where I got it from now though.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
my advice;

club glove
Take the head off of your woods (if you can)
Tuck the shafts just under the height of the broom handle.
Wrap a towel between the irons and around the heads.

Travelled abroad like this several times and not had a problem (yet).
My exact means of travelling with my clubs when I go home to South Africa. I also switch to a pencil bag to save space and weight.

Never had an issue and have been there and back with clubs about 20 times.