Flying with golf clubs...

evemccc

Visit site
Hi,

Just wondered about the logistics (and danger of damage to the clubs?) of taking clubs overseas on flights. Is it better to hire once overseas, or do most people trust the baggage handlers and pad their beloved irons with plenty of bubble wrap and cardboard?

NB: I'm just 'dreaming' and 'planning in my head' about future golf trips, obviously nothing in my pipeline right now....but curious enough to want to know the general opinions. Cheers

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The Sun Mountain Glider is incredible and makes the generally big schleps around airports very easy and you can get most of your clothes in

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A group of us have done Portugal for the last 20 years. Group size has been between 6 and 20, but usually 12 or 16. Everyone brings their own clubs, and in all that time no clubs have ever been damaged in our groups. I think once a bag got ripped, but tbh it was in pretty poor state before it got on the plane.

I use a padded wheeled Ping travel bag. Been very happy with it so far. As far as looking after the clubs, I bring a big towel with me and wrap it round the club heads.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I wrap my waterproofs and towels round the clubheads and keep them in place with the rain hood of my bag - never had a problem.

TBH there are some really good quality hire clubs available at most golf holiday destinations now. I’ve had mates hire them at Faro airport and get some good quality kit for less than the cost of carriage. It just depends on whether you want to use your own clubs which, given so many now get fitted for their clubs, is pretty much a requirement for most.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Taken them loads of times all over the world. I hate rental clubs. Only had a problem once, when my rangefinder went missing between Chicago O'Hare Airport and Heathrow baggage claim.

The soft ballistic nylon covers are the best. You can also get rigid coffin sized things but I think they are a bit unnecessary. The covers all seem to be mostly made by a few companies. Bag Boy is a popular brand in the US but can be quite expensive over here. Mine is currently Mizuno branded but I think is Ogio. I usually put the shoes one on each side in the side pockets and pack the rain gear in around the club heads. If you have a valuable club like a Scotty Cameron Tour putter or something, I would leave it at home and take something else.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Hi,

Just wondered about the logistics (and danger of damage to the clubs?) of taking clubs overseas on flights. Is it better to hire once overseas, or do most people trust the baggage handlers and pad their beloved irons with plenty of bubble wrap and cardboard?

NB: I'm just 'dreaming' and 'planning in my head' about future golf trips, obviously nothing in my pipeline right now....but curious enough to want to know the general opinions. Cheers
Hi, I’ve got a club glove last bag. It’s great, been on a few trips with it now. Comes with a stiff arm, so clubs quite well protected. They do a wide range of colours, mine stands out so is easy to spot on the carousel. I’d definitely recommend them

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a simple bag from Sports Direct (may be Slazenger), travelled at least once a year for the last decade and never had a problem. I tend to wrap a towel around the club heads but that's about it.

Only challenge is often the price of taking clubs on budget airlines - Ryanair for example have made it quite clear they don't want them with their pricing.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, I’ve got a club glove last bag. It’s great, been on a few trips with it now. Comes with a stiff arm, so clubs quite well protected. They do a wide range of colours, mine stands out so is easy to spot on the carousel. I’d definitely recommend them

Very good brand, lots of Tour players use them. Well, the ones that still fly commercial.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A cheap hard case is better than an expensive soft case.

My hard case is held together by duct tape, plastic wrapping and 4 luggage straps as the locks are either broken or weak. Still always holds and protects the gear well.

I will probably DIY a better lock onto it If I use it again, it is 20 odd years old now.

evemccc

Visit site
I've got a hard shell flight case. Looking at some of the scuffs and scrapes on it I'm very glad I bought it.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Hard cases, are these golf-specific and if so, which brands and approx how much did you spend? Thanks ??

D

Deleted member 23344

£125 on eBay.

Attachments

• 67FD9D07-1754-4E7A-AF03-86E883095682.jpeg
    67FD9D07-1754-4E7A-AF03-86E883095682.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 5

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I would not recommend a hard case. Really annoying if you need to get a cab to the airport. Plus harder to wheel around.

I’ve always used a soft case. I’ve had zero issues. I wrap a towel around the the heads the rain hood on top.

I bought a cheap Dunlop case as I thought they would be least likely to be stolen. It’s help up well over the last 6 years.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The Sun Mountain Glider is incredible and makes the generally big schleps around airports very easy and you can get most of your clothes in

Got one of these after Mrs BiM injured her arm and excused herself from baggage handling duties; you can literally move it round with one finger.

If you haven’t got a stiff arm, a couple of broom handles have the same effect; take the hit first if the bag is dropped on its head.