Fluctuation

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Recently joined a new club and my scores are fluctuating widely.

Shooting around 103-105 sometimes and then 96/97 the next time. Happened a couple of times.

Is this common? Any idea why?

DaveL

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say so, I'm stuck around the 85/95 mark. Getting off the tee is my main problem at the moment. Still think I can break 80 this year if everything comes together(fingers crossed)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Recently joined a new club and my scores are fluctuating widely.

Shooting around 103-105 sometimes and then 96/97 the next time. Happened a couple of times.

Is this common? Any idea why?

Yes, that's golf for you. I have shot anywhere between 78 and 100 in the last couple of years! :)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That looks fairly consistent for a higher handicap player. A strong wind can easily add 10 strokes to a score as can stupid pin positions and bad luck!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That doesn't look like that wide a range to me. My scores are "settling down" in the 97 to 110 range at my home club.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
More importantly TheCaddie, how are you enjoying playing the course now you have taken the plunge to join?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems perfectly normal to me. As a high handicapper a run of bad holes or good holes can easily make a +/- 5 swing to an average round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest the scores reflect joining a new course and not knowing the nuances, especially where you can and can't miss and also learning the greens. Once you've played there a while these will come and you should score more consistently although as we all know there's no guarantees in golf

Guvnor2013

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you 'reset' your expectations as you improve. At the outset you may be happy to break 100 and good scores might be anything under 95. As you play more often and the handicap starts to drop, breaking 90 becomes the target and 100 is really disappointing. Eventually mid-80s or less is a good round and even on a bad day, rounds over 90 are less frequent and, ultimately, quite disappointing.

Later in life, as bits of your body and bits of your game start to fail/fall off the scores start to rise again as I have seen in some of my playing partners. Something for me to look forward to!

Additionally, playing off the white tees, poor playing conditions and some of the other variables mentioned above can make a difference. The days when you shoot the higher scores may also be your 'off days' as you can't expect to perform to the best of your abilities every time. That's golf - hugely frustrating, very rewarding at times, punctuated by phrases like, "I did OK on this hole yesterday" and "why couldn't I do that first time?"

Keep plugging away. If you prefer consistency, try swimming or some other boring sport.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is hardly wild, my scores this year in just 6 rounds span high 90s to mid 80s.

In fact I would say shooting that range week in week out is pretty consistent.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks all! Really encouraging news actually.

Firstly, absolutely love joining a club, been playing with my partner mostly as we get used to the course but it's a great feeling being a member and more importantly not having to pay each round to play.

Yeh, I have found certain greens on the course to be tricky, some are easier than others but the pin positions are quite cruel where you can be dead on line for a putt and then it breaks from the hole right where the flag is. Had about 4 or 5 of those yesterday, and then the ones I thought were going to do that I aimed left of the hole and pushed it as there was no break! First course I've played that has done that.. Richmond Park I would one or mostly two putt every hole without fail where as yesterday I had a lot of three putts on the card, which was even more annoying I suppose because my putting is normally good and getting to the green is where I take the extra shot a lot of the time.

All fun and games, just wish it was summer!!! Want to play every night but it's too dark. My good shots are starting to get really good, but still prone to the odd shank or duff, or choosing the wrong club on the new course.

the snookster

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a relatively new starter to golf as well played with 3 forum members yesterday at lytham green and broke 100 for the first time 96 can't wait to get out again and hopefully it's not a fluke lol
Ps thanks for the great company Pete, Matt and Gary (garyinderry)

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was teaching a Chinese guy yesterday and he asked me exactly the same question, "why can I score 95 one day but 115 the next?"

"Fluctuation" I told him.

I think he misheard me :D:D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as someone else said thats golf for you.

unlike what some on here would have you believe, everyone shoots bad scores more than good ones.

i can shoot anything from 70 to 90 :(

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
as someone else said thats golf for you.

unlike what some on here would have you believe, everyone shoots bad scores more than good ones.

i can shoot anything from 70 to 90 :(

I think the forum may have warped things a bit for me actually. I suppose it's a bit like gambling, you rarely hear about the losses.