Florida school shooting

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only guns governments buy is to do a specific job - normally. People buy guns and people need to take responsibility.

It has to start at the top, nobody is going to give up their guns willingly.

Would you if you knew others were still free to buy and keep them?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think it is more than the NRA's political contributions.......... from the time I've spent in the US, some educated and otherwise rational people I've met think nothing of being armed and having guns about.

It is deep rooted in their psyche.

And it is quite bonkers.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So North Korea wants nuclear arms and the US say it would be dangerous to allow them to be armed like some others, but when something like this happens the stock response from within the US is to allow more arms. Crazy or what.
Feel so sorry for those who have lost family and those involved in the whole thing, but I fear noth8ng will ever change.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has to start at the top, nobody is going to give up their guns willingly.

Would you if you knew others were still free to buy and keep them?

Large country with enough people to say they will not elect any politician who will not fight against the current gun laws.

I've been around the things for too long and seen what the end result can be so in answer to your question I wouldn't own one.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
When human life means less than changing a constitutional law, you know that nothing will change.

The arguments given by gun supporters are shameful but there is no moving them. It's like talking to a brick wall.
The issue then lies with the government and unfortunately the NRA has serious lobbying power. It's pretty much a dead end.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
When human life means less than changing a constitutional law, you know that nothing will change.

The arguments given by gun supporters are shameful but there is no moving them. It's like talking to a brick wall.
The issue then lies with the government and unfortunately the NRA has serious lobbying power. It's pretty much a dead end.

They could reign it in without compromising their much loved constitution.

Hand guns should be the maximum any civilian should be allowed . The type of gun being used in most of these atrocities is military grade stuff that should be nowhere near the hands of the general public . But it’s now too ingrained into their moronic psyche that the horse has bolted .

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is more than the NRA's political contributions.......... from the time I've spent in the US, some educated and otherwise rational people I've met think nothing of being armed and having guns about.

It is deep rooted in their psyche.

And it is quite bonkers.

I remember watching a US news channel reporting on one of those uk terrorist attacks last year. They were essentially saying the general public and police had no chance as we were not armed, I think "archaic uk gun laws" was the exact phrase they used.

U

User62651

They could reign it in without compromising their much loved constitution.

Hand guns should be the maximum any civilian should be allowed . The type of gun being used in most of these atrocities is military grade stuff that should be nowhere near the hands of the general public . But it’s now too ingrained into their moronic psyche that the horse has bolted .

It should still be ok for field sports participants/farmers to own rifles and shotguns for fieldsports and/or vermin control but under strict licence like us here and with a minimum age of ownership of perhaps 25, before that age you need to be accompanied by a licensed adult. For the general public to be able to walk into a gun shop and come away with an automatic weapon in many states is madness and then be able to accumulate lots and lots is even more daft.

Re handguns, not being flippant in light of the tragedy yesterday but there is a part of the Steve Martin movie LA Story when a gunfight breaks out on the Highway, parodies the sheer madness of gun ownership/behaviour there, to me this is not far from what teh attitude is like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoU39Rpp4FI

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With the whole attitude towards the 'right to bear arms' and that most seem to think it's safer to be armed in case this sort of thing happens.....how many times have we read a story about a mass killing being stopped (before it started) by anyone being armed?!

As already mentioned, it boils down to money. Whilst the NRA pump so much into politics I cannot see anything being changed. It's really up to the American people to take to the streets and start forcing change through.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
An American caller into James O'Brien explained how poor is the provision of care for those with anger management and wider mental health issues in the US. Combine this with gun purchasers doing self-certification around mental health, and you have a toxic and deadly mix.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just seen Trumps latest tweet.

"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!"

So he is saying the shooters classmates, some of whom may well have been killed, should look at themselves, take some responsibility and wonder why they did not report him. Essentially victim blaming dead or traumatised school kids. Unbelievable.