Flat Swing or Steep Swing - reaults of either type?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following on from Alex'a thread I have read differing opinions on the net and can't really get a feel for what the results of either a too flat or too steep backswing are??

My swing is too flat. Better than it used to be but flat all the same. When I swing with what I feel is a more upright (less around me swing) I have to be very careful how far I take it or the hosel comes into play. That in itself is enough to keep me from going too far down that route. I do know that too flat means my swing bottoms out way too soon and I control that by flipping but can get toe strikes as well.

So I like the feel of a more upright swing path on the way back but it feels "scary"...

So experts - what is your take on the impact of being too flat or too steep?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
too many questions - but I will profer one answer:-

there is flat, and there is upright - both are generally fine but will involve some compromises elsewhere in either the swing or the results. they may in themselves be a forced result of another necessay compromise due to physique etc ...........then there's too flat and too upright; both of which are either beyond rescue by other compromises or simpy out of control, and subject to any number of things appearing.

A

Alex1975

Amanda, it was interesting that no one asked me my ball flight wasn't it.. Interested in the replies here but I think the answer will be inconsistant strikes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't say your swing was that flat, certainly not in the downswing.
I would say you are worrying about the wrong part of the swing though.
Take a look at Luke's hands in the picture below and compare them to where yours are at the same part of the swing.

Photo0regh.jpg

If I were you, that's where I would be focusing my winter practice

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Flat Swing or Steep Swing - results of either type?

I wouldn't say your swing was that flat, certainly not in the downswing.
I would say you are worrying about the wrong part of the swing though.
Take a look at Luke's hands in the picture below and compare them to where yours are at the same part of the swing.

View attachment 3366

If I were you, that's where I would be focusing my winter practice

As in mine wouldn't be visible as they're already around me at that point and "hidden" by my torso? I don't fully extend my arms through and beyond impact?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

As in mine wouldn't be visible as they're already around me at that point and "hidden" by my torso? I don't fully extend my arms through and beyond impact?
[video=youtube;ypymb2qkovY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypymb2qkovY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=7&feature=plcp[/video]

Your shoulders turn and follow your hips instead of resisting your hips,
This doesn't mean you stop turning though. Turn your hips as normal but feel the gap increasing between your left arm and chest

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

[video=youtube;ypymb2qkovY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypymb2qkovY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=7&feature=plcp[/video]

Your shoulders turn and follow your hips instead of resisting your hips,
This doesn't mean you stop turning though. Turn your hips as normal but feel the gap increasing between your left arm and chest

That clip is brilliant! Ok I think I get what you mean and have been trying to do that with my driver - or at least feel my right shoulder stays back/squarer for longer from the top rather than coming forwards (or I suppose turning)...that?? I seem to stay inside from there rather than throwing/casting so perhaps that's why my drives have started to sing again??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

That clip is brilliant! Ok I think I get what you mean and have been trying to do that with my driver - or at least feel my right shoulder stays back/squarer for longer from the top rather than coming forwards (or I suppose turning)...that?? I seem to stay inside from there rather than throwing/casting so perhaps that's why my drives have started to sing again??

Yes. Look at the top pros and compare their shoulders and hips at impact . Their hips will have cleared but their shoulders will be much squarer.
If your shoulders follow your hips, they will also be wide open pulling the clubface across the ball or low left

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

I can do that :thup: kind of explains why I know I've hit a good shot as can feel a tension in my lower back and have wondered if that comes from more separation between lower and upper body/x factor stuff...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I can do that :thup: kind of explains why I know I've hit a good shot as can feel a tension in my lower back and have wondered if that comes from more separation between lower and upper body/x factor stuff...

Sorry but you are sounding somewhat 'homer-esque' :mad:

Have you tried the plane-truth yet? :whistle: