Flag In or Out - interesting article.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How short is short..?
Every time I've played solo in the last 25 years I've putted with the flag in.
The only time I've had a putt hit the flag from short range and bounce out has been because I've hit the putt too hard for it to drop if the flag was out.
I'm convinced that if the ball hits the flag and doesn't drop then it was highly unlikely to drop if the flag was out.
I'm a flag in kinda guy!!

Very unusual to find an Imurg post that I fully agree with!

😁😉

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a " flag out" man, unless it's a long way away. Reason? I tapped a short putt to the hole a couple of weeks ago, and it hit the pin and bounced straight out.
So short putts, flag out. Long putts , flag in. Don't like the faffing around of flag in for one, and flag out for someone else, so I am conscious of what the others in my group want to do.
If you have regular partners, we are getting to know what each player wants.
You know what, I had something similar recently. Was playing on my own so it didn't matter, but I hit a putt just left side of the hole that I felt should have dropped but it bounced off the pin. Just like that, I'd gone from happily putting with the flag in all the time, to having that seed of doubt. I really felt that without the flag it would have caught the edge of the hole and looped in. I'll never know for sure obviously, but that doubt is enough now that I'm thinking for short-ish ones I should hole I may take it out. And I have done a handful of times since. Anything over like, 5 feet though I'm still leaving it in.

Visit site
Thank you Orikoru, I feel better now. The player with me, has been a single figure handicapper,agreed with me, if the flag had been out, the ball would have gone in. End of.

Wolf

Visit site
Odd article considering all the other insights we've seen come out to the contrary. The thing I find funny is people miss one putt because of a bounce out and say yup it's the flags fault that putt I hit way to hard meaning it ricocheted is the flags fault, yet had the pin not been in would probably hit the hole and run well past meaning a longer return putt.

I say leave it in on every putt, save time move on and if you hit the pin work on your speed control

D

Deleted member 3432

Playing a windy links the flag is out 100% of the time for me because the flag is always leaning one way or another.

No problem with people putting with it in but its coming out for me.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out for me. I still have it removed if I am off the green and chipping when it is close enough to make the chip. The hole looks bigger with the flag out.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure what the purpose of that test was

Leaving the flag in was never supposed to provide a performance advantage on holing putts!
All this shows is that it doesn't

The benefit of leaving it in was to speed up pace of play, which it does

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Out for me. I still have it removed if I am off the green and chipping when it is close enough to make the chip. The hole looks bigger with the flag out.

But it seems easier to aim at 6 foot stick in the ground than a hole to me

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's in, I'll leave it in, unless it's leaning significantly to one side.

If it's out, I'll leave it out.

And if someone asks me to tend, I'll gladly tend, it's their right to have it tended.