Fitting gains.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Today the Titleist man came to town with the new TS Drivers and did fittings. Now I've always been slightly cynical about the gains that can be had by a proper fitting but today genuinely blew my mind.

I'm no slouch off the tee, certainly not the longest but can get it out there in comparative terms. So I tried the TS3 and it went well, then tried the TS2 which and the gains over my 915 were quite frankly eye popping, to a point one of our crowd who was standing watching was struggling to believe his eyes also. On average I was carrying the ball 20 yards further over my current club and when I really let rip carrying it....40, yes 40 yards further.

At near £500 it's a mental amount of money but the ball flight, the distance and dispersion was staggering and now has me with a serious financial dilemma, however I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.

10.5 @ C2 setting which reduces it to 9.75, KuroKage 50 S flex with 2 gram heavier weight in the rear.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Spill on the numbers then?

I have spilt the numbers, 20 yards on average gain and before you ask no I'm not going to go in to specific carry numbers, safe to say it was 20 yards over my current Driver which is a 915.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was the 915 fully fitted in the first place?
Has your swing/ability changed much in the last 3 years?
That's usually where the big gains come from

Spend the money, you know you want to.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Informativ
I have spilt the numbers, 20 yards on average gain and before you ask no I'm not going to go in to specific carry numbers, safe to say it was 20 yards over my current Driver which is a 915.

40 yards in the fairway or bundai?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Was the 915 fully fitted in the first place?
Has your swing/ability changed much in the last 3 years?
That's usually where the big gains come from

Spend the money, you know you want to.

No
No

Granted the 915 wasn't fitted properly, off the rack as it were but no my swing/ability hasn't changed, though I'm not sure that would be relevant as it was a 20 yard gain on average to me hitting the 915 today with the same swing as I was hitting the TS, and yes it does seriously have me considering it but 20 yards further can often be 20 yards deeper in to the cabbage.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I probably should add, these didn't come instantly, there was a bit of tweeking with shafts, lofts and sole weights, the point of the topic being, it seems, on the face of it, a good fitter can get good gains in time.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would say fitting does make a difference. When I got fitted for my irons the difference in dispersion with the different shafts was marked. At the end, you could compare them all and I eventually went with UST Recoil which was much more consistent than all the others. Distance wise they were also longer but some of that was down to the stronger lofts all modern irons have.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I probably should add, these didn't come instantly, there was a bit of tweeking with shafts, lofts and sole weights, the point of the topic being, it seems, on the face of it, a good fitter can get good gains in time.

More to it though than distances, dispersion has to be daddy as you've said ie cabbage if you go after it.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
More to it though than distances, dispersion has to be daddy as you've said ie cabbage if you go after it.

Of course there is more to it and fairways is always king but when I did go "after it" they were bullet straight, would I swing like that out on the course, highly unlikely because I know it can go anywhere.

You seem very cynical, which I totally get, I was to and it's easy to stand on a range and bash balls for fun thinking that's another bomber, but the figures don't lie but it will always be the Indian not the Arrow and the end of the day all I'm saying is, like all the YT reviews, I've personally witnessed it first hand.

Oh and btw, modern day teaching to young players now it about bombing it, so dispersion for the modern golfer, believe it or not, isn't the number one off the tee, they are taught to smash it a long way, then they teach them to straighten things up, for the old hackers like us, we want the short grass.

Visit site
Amazing when sceptics try something they've not done before or ridicule, all of a sudden the light bulb appears......

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Amazing when sceptics try something they've not done before or ridicule, all of a sudden the light bulb appears......

I did a driver fitting for the Ping G400 two weeks ago and seen next to no carry gain whatsoever, go figure.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
was this done on a flight scope or on a range?
I would be surprised if the head made any difference, maybe worth trying the same shaft (if its one in the Titfitting cart) in your current driver on the course

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
I was fitted out for the Rogue driver, now I have a slow swing and was only hitting my Taylormade SLDR 210 yards, the Rogue has got me to 250 yards and the dispersion is fantastic, the bank balance has taken a hit and now I want the 3 & 5 wood :(

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
No
No

Granted the 915 wasn't fitted properly, off the rack as it were but no my swing/ability hasn't changed, though I'm not sure that would be relevant as it was a 20 yard gain on average to me hitting the 915 today with the same swing as I was hitting the TS, and yes it does seriously have me considering it but 20 yards further can often be 20 yards deeper in to the cabbage.

The differences between a properly fitted 915 vs the new driver will only be a few yards and some more forgiveness I suspect.

If you wanted a cheaper option you could pick up a better suited shaft for your 915 and I would think you would probably gain close to the numbers you have with the TS.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
was this done on a flight scope or on a range?
I would be surprised if the head made any difference, maybe worth trying the same shaft (if its one in the Titfitting cart) in your current driver on the course

Range, I wouldn't do a fitting indoors.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Range, I wouldn't do a fitting indoors.
what shaft was it out of interest?

Obviously i've no idea how well or far you hit the ball, but do you feel that 40 yards is a genuine gain, which is a lot unless you only hit it 200 yards off the tee in the first place.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would like to do a fitting for a driver, but budget constraints prohibit me.

If only somebody did fittings for 4 year old drivers, that would be ideal. I would love to get fitted for a driver that ultimately only costs £100-150 rather than £400.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
what shaft was it out of interest?

Obviously i've no idea how well or far you hit the ball, but do you feel that 40 yards is a genuine gain, which is a lot unless you only hit it 200 yards off the tee in the first place.

The 40 yards gain was swinging as hard as I could, it's not a gaming swing, it was around 18-20 average gain.

Mentioned the shaft in an earlier post, KuruKage 50 SFW black.

I absolutely get the cynicism about the gains, it is hard to believe but carry with my 915 has always been around 230-235, I know this from two previous trackman days, those figures were consistent again yesterday, the TS was averaging 249-251. Said I wasn't going to mention the numbers but I have to give the full picture.